Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updating USB driver

• Please log in to reply

paolo

paolo

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I recently bought a Philips webcam that connects via a USB port. The installation was fairly straightforward and the cam seems to be more or less working.

However when I start the cam up, I get moving images for a few seconds and then a still. The cam does not hang or lock up, I just get a still. When I start it again, I get a either no output or a green image with no content.

I phoned Philips and they told me the most likely cause is the USB driver on my machine and advised me to get an update. I am running Windows 98 Gold (a variety of W98 First Edition) and the USB driver dates from 1998. It is USB 1.1, of course. The cam is supposed to work even with Windows 95, by the way, so it should work with Windows 98 and USB 1.1.

I have spent a large part of this weekend trying to track down an update. My chipset is Intel. Intel's site says that they do not provide USB 1.1 drivers (see http://downloadfinde...eng&prdmap=666) and elsewhere says that these can be obtained from Microsoft. Microsoft's site says that USB drivers are obtainable from the manufacturer, in other words, Intel. I've done a web search but haven't found anything useful except for sites such as Geeks to Go.

If someone could advise me where I can get an update for my USB driver I would be very grateful. The alternatives are to update to Windows SE or to buy a new PC, and I don't fancy doing either of those.

I have Everest installed on my computer so can provide any additional details of my computer's spec that anyone might need in order to help me out.

Thanks very much for any help.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Microsoft have them on their site somewhere, if you cant find them you can email them and they will send you the link to the drivers. Apparently had to get drivers for my usb once and the techsupport guy told me that, but i didnt bother i just got a card to fix my problem, but it should be correct.

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Do you have the webcam directly plugged into the pc or are you using an USB extender? I once used an extender and the same thing happened as what you posted. Take out any extenders if there are any, of course, and see if that helps.

Edited by S A A B, 18 July 2005 - 07:41 AM.

paolo

paolo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for the feedback.

S A A B, the USB connector is plugged directly into the port.

OK, so I'll try Microsoft's site again to see if I can find what I need, although it's not the easiest to find your way around.

Warriorscot, what card did you get to solve your problem? Was it a graphics card?

paolo

paolo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I've emailed Microsoft. I'll let you know what they say.

paolo

paolo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Microsoft came back to me. They gave me a download to try but it was for Windows 98 Second Edition (looks like they didn't read my email properly) and for PCs with a faster processor speed than mine. When I told them I had Windows 98 First Edition, they said that they didn't support that any more and suggested I do a Web search, which brings me back to where I started :tazz:

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Looks like the simplest solution would be to buy a new PC, but that's the most expensive one too.

Thanks for any help.