Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

half life 2 help me plz

• Please log in to reply

leejohnson77

leejohnson77

• Pip
  • 4 posts
when i first installed the game half life 2 and couter strike: source etc i had no sound on my pc and the game worked fine apart for sound but that didnt work anyway then i had a power cut and the pc has sound now but the game will not work it says "failed to set video mode - resetting to defaults. game will now restart with the new video settings. ok cancel"

i click ok and it says "failed to set video mode. this game has a minimum requirement of directX 7.0 compatible hardware.

but before the power cut i could play the game and now i cant any help?

Edited by leejohnson77, 19 July 2005 - 07:53 AM.

Advertisements

DeV1Se

DeV1Se

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Our lass has got the exact same problem... Ive had the same problem and my video gard is a brand new DirectX9 compatible Radeon X800...

I believe its got something to do with the update for the game that they've added recently as its never happened prior to this but its definitely bad customer service from Valve/Steam because I bet theres people out there (like our lass) whos just bought a decent'ish graphics card and paid for the game.. only to find she cant play it because the game is claiming the DirectX level of the card is too low.

I've had a nosey about and managed to find..... this link. Not tried it as of yet and not been to our lasses to try it on her PC (she can try it herself when shes online next) but hopefully it'll fix whatever went wrong as it sets all your display options to defaults and forces the game to load up... which is lovely.

If this doesnt work then ..... ballax.

I had this same problem on my graphics card / copy of half life 2 when I first installed my card... and subsequently thought the only option was to reinstall windowsXP...

Instead.. I uninstalled my graphics driver, and rebooted using the windows default.. tried playing the game... wouldnt load up (saying it needed DirectX 7 minimum hardware)... so I reinstalled my display drivers and voila the games back on... for now.

Try any of the [bleep] Ive just suggested there (except reinstalling windows) and let me know how you get on.

Oh, and heres the link to put your display options back to default on the game.... >>> Click here and look at the 'FORCE VIDEO MODE RESET' section

Hope that helps ya out buddy.

DeV1Se

DeV1Se

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ive tried all them methods out on our lasses PC today n not one of them has worked... what the [bleep] is wrong with these games... everyone seems to be having the same ball ache with it.

leejohnson77

leejohnson77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok thanx for ure help im goin to try and reinstall the game and drivers

hey ure from doncaster too lol

leejohnson77

leejohnson77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
try this http://steampowered....li=&p_topview=1

a new faq in on that website u told me about might work..

leejohnson77

leejohnson77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yep i did what it sed and it has worked i insalled the older drivers might be something wrong with the new driversi got i dont no thanks for ure help

hope it works for u aswell
lee

Edited by leejohnson77, 19 July 2005 - 08:02 AM.

DeV1Se

DeV1Se

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
spot on matey.... i didnt see that page but i'll take a look at it now... our missus is gonna download the driver n see wot difference it makes

cheers for that.

aftershok

aftershok

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well I have DirectX 9.0c on my CPU and it runs great. You should check to see if your sound cards are up to date or your sound card driver is not working properly.

regards, :tazz: ;)

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
yes there are lots of issues that have resulted from the latest 77.xx drivers from nvidia. the solution is to update your systemboard drivers (agp especially) with the lastest ones. If you have an nvidia chipset (per the steam linke provided earlier) you need to update to the latest forceware.