Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG AntiVirus

• Please log in to reply

dmlutchen

dmlutchen

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Does anyone here use AVG AntiVirus? I have the AVG6.0 Free Version and on their website they said as of Dec 31st 2004 they will no longer be supporting and updating that free version due to techincal issues. So from my understanding AVG is no longer going to have a upto date AntiVirus software. For anyone who uses AVG let me know if you have heard this and what you are going to do? Thanks!

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
You could switch to AntiVir.

Or you could get a paid version...

I recommend Kaspersky and Norton.

<_<

dmlutchen

dmlutchen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
You recomend Norton? I just was using Norton AntiVirus 2004 and hated it. I think Norton is a software virus in it-self. Norton is a big,strong monster that sinks its teeth into every nook and crany of your computer, deep down into the harddirve and registry and is extreemly difficult to remove. Dont get me wrong, the service is great and it does a good job, but there are other antivirus software that i think do just as good of a job such as what im using now, AVG (and its free and doesnt sink its teeth into your system and isnt that hard to remove if nessesary) Im starting to look into this other antivirus software called Avast. Im hearing its just ask good as Norton, Mcafee and AVG and the service is similar to AVG, its free, and does much of the same. I would like to hear some other opinions on what I think, by no means do I think I know anything about software, I could be wrong, I am just learning as I go by personal expereince. Thanks for all the reply's.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I have the AVG6.0 Free Version and on their website they said as of Dec 31st 2004 they will no longer be supporting and updating that free version due to techincal issues.

Wow, I hadn't heard that. You can find a list of free antivirus resources here:
http://www.geekstogo...m-topic-38.html

I have AVG on a couple systems, and I've recommended it hundreds of times. I've heard some good things about Avast, and not much at all about AntiVir. I will be looking into both of these programs closer so that we're able to make an informed recommendation.

JanJMa

JanJMa

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Does anyone here use AVG AntiVirus? I have the AVG6.0 Free Version and on their website they said as of Dec 31st 2004 they will no longer be supporting and updating that free version due to techincal issues. So from my understanding AVG is no longer going to have a upto date AntiVirus software. For anyone who uses AVG let me know if you have heard this and what you are going to do? Thanks!

View Post

:D READ their website !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are making a new FREE version. <_<

dmlutchen

dmlutchen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
They are? When did they post that? I was just at thier website a few hours ago and didnt see anything about it. Can you provide a direct link to the accual posting? Thanks.

nanee5

nanee5

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi! If you go to www.grisoft.com and click on the "free trial version" on the left side of the page, you can read about the new free version coming out soon. Hope this helps!

Donna

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

New Generation of AVG Free Edition to Replace Current 6.0 Free Edition
GRISOFT is pleased to announce that the next generation of AVG Free will be available soon!

The new AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition, which is currently available for Beta testing, is scheduled to be Generally Available at the beginning of November.

All current AVG 6.0 Free users will be able to upgrade to the new AVG Free Edition before December 31, 2004 or purchase the full AVG Anti-Virus protection at any time.

AVG Anti-Virus 6.0 FREE Edition will be discontinued on December 31, 2004, and virus database and program updates for this edition will no longer be available.

In order to provide sufficient time to upgrade to the new AVG Free, all AVG Anti-Virus 6.0 Free users will be informed through the update process in the coming weeks about the availability of the upgrade.

GRISOFT continues to provide improved overall computer security by providing free anti-virus tool for home users.We are excited about the new release of AVG Free and think that you will be, too!

Thank you for using AVG Free!

The GRISOFT Team

- October 27, 2004 -

http://free.grisoft....3/lng/us/tpl/v5