Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building linux-pc clusters

• Please log in to reply

rajks

rajks

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,
I am new to networking so i need some help.
I am trying to build a linux cluster with 3 desktop pcs which will run a specific software in parrallel or a simple setup.
I have all the hardware to build the thing. The problem is to play with the IP address of the PCs. How DHCP will help me? I have a gateway which provides me internet.
Please advise. Or simply get me a setup to solve my problem.
Regards,
raj

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what kind of Gateway (router). are you simply needing help configuring DHCP? just want to make sure what i need to research for you.

Edited by dsenette, 18 July 2005 - 07:05 AM.

rajks

rajks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,

The thing is that i'm at my campus university and i'll use the internet overthere. They use IPs to provide the network.
The problem is that i want to connect my PCs together..can i use assigned IPs by myself..if yes, how? i'm a bit confused.
Have anybody tried to build a linux cluster. If yes, please can u provide me enough details how could i build it on my own.
thanks for yor consideration and time

Regards,
raj

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well if all you're wanting is to set the IPs of the machines according to your school ip scheme then ive got a few questions. does the school give y ou multiple ips? or just one? if they give you just one ip then you can set that one as a static ip for one of the machines then basically set it as a linux router for the other machines and nat a bunch of ip addresses to the other machines. not too difficult. if they give you as many ips as neccessary then you just set them on each machine accordingly

rajks

rajks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well they gave me one IP address and i would like to use this as the static IP to use use it as a router for the other machines. If you have any plans for this thing, plz make me follow your setup to make this possible.
Thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'll have to do some research for you so it may take a little while...please be patient... but this will be the basic configuration...one linux machine set up for dhcp and NAT acting as a router for the other linux machines....the other machines will use dhcp to get their addresses . so the router machine will have the static ip from your school. it will be set up as a router by using NAT which is Network Address Translation... this basically takes all the other ip's from your llittle network and encapsulates them into the one static ip so that the big network assumes that there is only one computer talking... i believe that this will be the easiest way to accomplish joining a dissimilar network to the main one.

rajks

rajks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the effort you've been doing..
I need a plan of work for this thing..if you can get it done on a pdf file so i can follow the instructions.
Thanks

rajks

rajks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
just needed some advise..am still waiting..plz help.. :tazz: