Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't get to desktop

• Please log in to reply

Graeme Hedley

Graeme Hedley

• Pip
  • 2 posts
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have used your advice to remove spyware and trojan problems that have plagued me for ages. After I rebooted my computer everything was fine except I was stuck with a white desktop which would not change. The next time I started my computer, just after I had put in my password the desktop I had chosen appeared but none of the icons or the start bar would appear. I can still run things by opening task manager but this is a pain!

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisements

rambro

rambro

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
Dear Graeme Hedley, :tazz:

Welcome to the Geeks to Go forums.

Try this procedure to remove your white desktop: Go to "Start" -> "Control Panel" and double click on "Display". A "Display properties" dialog box should open up. Click on the "Desktop" Tab, click on the "Customize Desktop" button, click on the "Web" tab. Remove the check marks from any items listed in the "Web pages" box. Make sure that "Lock desktop items" is unchecked as well. Hit OK twice. See the following link: http://www.daniweb.c...hread13221.html

If this works, do the following:

Please go here and download the latest version of HijackThis: http://www.geekstogo...n=download&id=3. Very Important!!! Please create a permanent folder for HijackThis (I suggest C:\HJT or C:\HijackThis) and move the HijackThis program there. HijackThis will create a number of backup files which may be lost, along with HijackThis, if left in a temporary folder.

To create a permanent folder: Click My Computer, then C:\. In the menu bar, File->New->Folder. That will create a folder named New Folder, which you can rename to "HJT" or "HijackThis". Now you have C:\HJT\ or C:\HijackThis\ folder. Put your HijackThis.exe there, and double click to run it.

Always make sure you run HijackThis from the permanent folder.

Please restart your computer.

Run HijackThis, have it scan your computer and save a logfile. Copy and paste the entire contents of the logfile here. ;)