Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD-RW + CD-RW problems

• Please log in to reply

angelslacker

angelslacker

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
i have BTC DVD +/- R/RW

it works before but then i reformated my pc... now it can read dvds/cds but it doesn't read/burn blank cds (cd-r or dvd-r). i'm using nero for burning...

also i have a cd-rw... and it doesn't read any cds, and since it doesn't read it won't write too.

my computer recognizes both but it's not working...

any ideas why?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Try remving them starting the pc then shut it down after windows is loaded then replace them and start it see if that helps. If you got a disc with the drives use them see if there is any diagnostic software in them anyhting useful.

angelslacker

angelslacker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
how can i 'remove' them? uninstall using device manager?

Edited by angelslacker, 18 July 2005 - 03:26 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i think he means physically take the devices out....though it is a good idea to use either the add/remove hardwear or device manager. but i would probably go to the manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers and see if those fix it first

angelslacker

angelslacker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
but i don't know how to take the deivce off, i'm afraid that i if i do that i might damage it more?!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's as simple as turning the machine off and unplugging the cables that come out of the back of the drive.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
unless you are extremely rough or pull on the cable instead of the connector you cant mess it up