Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer crash

• Please log in to reply

karbear246

karbear246

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: This morning, I downloaded a few songs from a file sharing program (kaz**). I don't know that that is what caused this, but I'm guessing. Anyway, I went to delete a few songs that wouldn't play and they kept popping back up on my list right after I would delete them. I decided to restart my computer, run a scan on everything with 3 anti virus, spyware programs. When I rebooted..I got a blue screen that said something like "If this is the first time this has happened, restart the computer..." so i did...and it went to a black screen that gave me several options to boot it.
safe mode
dos mode
restore to last good start up.
I chose all of these, and it went to the blue screen again.
What do I do to get my computer back!!!!!!!?????

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
you can run safe mode and delete those files from your system then open a command prompt (Start -> Run and type cmd <enter>)
put your windows CD and type sfc /scannow

see if that works, let me know.

karbear246

karbear246

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried to run safe mode..and nothing happened..it just showed the same lbue screen i was getting a second ago. besides that, I bought the computer with XP on it, and I don't have a disk for it. I have tons of stuff I have to save on there and I don't know what to do at this point. Any other suggestions?

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
your only option is to slave your HDD to another machine and move all your stuff through. Then format your hard drive and do a freash install, but you need some installation disks.
what have you been given with the PC software wise?

karbear246

karbear246

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok...here's the deal. I don't know exactly what I should have with my computer. I don't remember. I'll have to go take a look. Is there a possibility that I can recover my files? I'm not sure what installation disks I have. I'll goo look at that too.. Thanks..I'll get back to you.
P.S. What do you think happened to cause this?
Kari

Edited by karbear246, 18 July 2005 - 11:46 AM.

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
You probably downloaded a song with a worm or trojan on it. You could try borrowing someone's XP cd and try a windows repair. I am not sure if that will work, though.

Emery

karbear246

karbear246

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: I got my computer fixed!! yay! I did have to slave my hard drive (or whatever you call it). Luckily when I did, the computer my hard drive was put into replaced the files that were missing and I didn't have to reinstall everything. However, in case this happens again, I have backups of my most important files. Thanks for all your help!
Kari

P.S. Still not clear on the problem but I did get a stop code oxoooooooo(and some more stuff) and it said unmountable_boot_volume