Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC only starts after removing power

• Please log in to reply

simhen

simhen

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, can anyone help me pls!!!

I have an xp box which does not want to startup after a shutdown. I have to remove the power cord from the psu and then only will it start up when I press the power button. Has anyone expereinced the same kind of problem???

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome go Geeks to Go. Has this always done that or did it just start happening? Have you tried resetting the power up button? On my system, there is a small button directly below the power button (you need to push it with a pen or pencil tip). This is a reset button. Two of my systems have such a button. Perhaps yours does too.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You might want to got to the Setup screen and check your power settings. That's probably the simplest place to start.

WayneThornton

WayneThornton

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a simular problem. Please see my problem on this site. Search "Power outage".

Please let me know if you discover what to do and why it happened.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

austin_o and Tyger have good suggestions you should look into both of them and post questions back first before considering what I have to say.

I have however experienced this problem and its been a bad power supply (psu).
By removing the power cord or turning the switch off on the back of the psu you are resetting it. Some psu's can sense when a overvoltage occurs and switch off there by preventing damage to the system, when this happens they need to cool and be resett by cutting power to the unit.

Now I am not saying your psu is overvolting but just that something in it is making it think it is and requireing the reset.

I have never found a way to troubleshoot this occurrence and I have seen it happen even though the computer has been off for several hours and the psu has cooled but still needed to be unpluged so I ended up replacing the psu to solve the problem.

Rick

simhen

simhen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, I will try it and let you guys know what the result was!