Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

log on screen

• Please log in to reply

161ken

161ken

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for this forum. My problem is after I log on with my PC xp Pro network, after a very short time, I look up at my screen and the log on page is on the screen. How can I increase the time before the log on screen is back. Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you mean how long it takes for your desktop to lock?

161ken

161ken

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry . What I mean to say is I will have to log on many times a day. It will not stop working or lock up. If I am working on a document or on the internet, and stop for just a few minutes, Whatever I was working on is not on the screen. I will be back at the log on screen .Once I log on I can continue working.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right....that is a setting that locks the desktop so that no one can use your computer for evil while you're in the bathroom....i am going to assume that your computer is a work computer...and that you are attatched to a domain right? if this is the case this setting was configured by your network admin...discuss the lengthening of this time period with them.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If your computer is not a security risk, go to Control Panel>Display> Screensaver and untick "on resume, password protect". If you must leave the computer and want to lock it, press the WinKey and "L" (lowercase) to lock it. It will prompt you for your password when you return.

Johanna

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just as a reminder and to stress this as a network admin....if you are on a business network consult your it personnel..you may not have access to this selection

161ken

161ken

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I do have an admin account, I don't want to have the pc accessible for everyone all day, I just would like a little more time. I hear you dsenette.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
In display properties>screensaver there is a setting to change the amount of time before the log on screen (or screensaver) goes on. If that option has not been disabled by your network admin, should be an easy fix.

Johanna

161ken

161ken

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I set it for 15 minutes, that seems long enough. Thanks for your time. Problem is solved.