Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Build Vs Buy?

• Please log in to reply

Squashky

Squashky

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
i Have decent skills with the computeer but i am looking into getttin ga computer for video editing under 6000$ its gotta be fast ad realiable and easy to mantian and upgrade... so my questions is it cheaper or better to build a comp rather the buy one like a ALienware mj-12 or something??

How hard is it to build a good computer
??

what is the best place to buy parts or the computer as a whole??

thank you??

Advertisements

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
It is definately MUCH cheaper to build.

Building is very simple nowadays. It's also much more customizable to your specific needs.

www.newegg.com is probably the best online store.

If you need help selecting parts, just ask. :tazz:

Squashky

Squashky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Tanks for replying and yes i am going to. well i guess i first need to pick the proccesser wat do you feel is better a dual core proccesser or dual xeon??

how do i know everything is compatible and is going to work??

ty again

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

how do i know everything is compatible and is going to work??

By looking on the manufacturers sites for products that will work with eachother.

wat do you feel is better a dual core proccesser or dual xeon??

I would go for an AMD dual core processor because I don't really like Intel (dual xeon) processors.

Emery

Edited by S A A B, 18 July 2005 - 12:41 PM.

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Actually, I'm about the biggest AMD fan you will find, but as much as it pains me to say, you are going to want to go with an Intel CPU. For video editing, they beat AMD.

I'm not really familiar with video editing myself, so I can't give you too much info. To find out if everything fits, you can post links to parts you are looking at here, and we can tell you if they are compatible.

Squashky

Squashky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
ok
thank you so amd is out then so it is intel

thank you

Squashky

Squashky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813151146

how is this for a motherboard??
is this good??

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Yes, it's a good motherboard for the processor type you've decided to go with.

Emery

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah if its a solely video editing machine a Intel is best, just make sure you get good cooling cause intels are hot, also when selecting your case you need to get one that supports a extended mobo, something like the coolermaster stacker would be good with the crossflow fan and an extra drive/fan bay would bo a good place to start.

Squashky

Squashky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
i honestly don't know which case yo are talk ing about i looked on new egg and don't know which ones are good??? any sugegestions
ty

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://www.hexus.net...mlld19JRD04OTA=
an article on the stacker also has a mention of the dual opteron cpu review they did an alternative to an intel zeon.

Squashky

Squashky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thank you for the article i think i am going with the dual opteron

why is opteron have only 2.4ghz

and the xeon have 3.4ghz are they on the same scale because wouldn't that mean the xeon is alot faster or is something else effect it??

also i think the stacker is going to be too big for wat i am going to put int it

I am thinking

Dual proccessers
single video card
adio card
matrox card
3 hd
2 optics
possible 600 power souce or dual 550 or 400

is the stacker ok for that i think it is way to big right???
is there a tad smaller that will still have enough air flow to keep it cooll during encoding or high powered tasks??

ty for reponding

Squashky

Squashky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
2 x 2.4GHz AMD Opteron 250 Processors (12 x 200, 1MB L2)
2GB of Mushkin ECC Registered DDR PC3200 2:3:2 (4 x 512MB (2 per CPU), 2.5-3-3-7, Winbond CH-5 DRAMs)
IWill DK8X Mainboard (dual-Socket 940, AGP8X, 8 DDR slots (16GB max), AMD 8000-series)
2 x Hitachi 400GB SATA 8MB cache Disks (HDS724040KLSA80)
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT 256MB AGP w/ dual-DVI

plus a sytem drive
two optics

are these good for my computer????

dasickis

dasickis

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Well from personal experience and talking to people that video edit or work with movies and music they prefer a Mac because Mac OS Tiger is very intuitive and works easily. Also, unlike windows you don't have to restart it every little bit and since I assume you'll be using many CPU hungry programs macs are really the best way to go and they have very good support for video editing.

However, if you want a PC you should try and get a graphix card that supports multiple monitors because as I have had experience in the past screen space gets short with long timelines.

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

However, if you want a PC you should try and get a graphix card that supports multiple monitors because as I have had experience in the past screen space gets short with long timelines.

View Post

The 6800gt does support a dual monitor setup.