Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SATA/IDE MASTER/SLAVE JUMPERS

• Please log in to reply

Thermalfreak

Thermalfreak

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi again,
I just posted about single SATA utilization. I forgot to ask about the jumpers on such a system. Using (1) Western Digital 74GB HD & (1) Western Digital 200GB IDE HD.
Does the IDE 200GB drive need to be set to slave? Everything works great now. As long as my BIOS settings are enabled for the SATA drive too, it automatically uses it as the master boot device. Even if my original 200GB IDE drive is seen as master because its on the IDE cable only. Is there any reason to change my setting? :tazz:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i put a an old IDE drive in my new system to get some data and it didnt need set as the slave. As long as the bios knows where to boot from its fine and dandy.