Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Enable AutoUpdates - programatically

• Please log in to reply

codecraig

codecraig

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I am interested in being able to enable auto updates on a windows 2000, xp, 2003...programatically..perhaps running a batch script or something.

Anyone have any ideas on how to do this?

thanks

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
If you have automatic update you can set it to run once a week. other wise just go to the site and do it manually, which can be good because you can then get the optional update and the hardware updates.

codecraig

codecraig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Sorry I don't think you understood my question. I am looking for a way to programmatically enable autoupdate. By that I mean, I want to run some script or exe which enables autoupdate, without any user interaction.

The idea is that I am the maintainer of multiple windows machines and I want to ensure that autoupdate is enabled on each PC, and by using a script or exe I can do that. Without having to constantly go to the machine to make sure it is enabled.

UndeadInsanity

UndeadInsanity

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I don't think there's a batch command, or an .exe that allows one to turn automatic updates on.

You'll just have to turn it on manually on each machine I'm afraid.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
If you enable it in Conrtal Panel/Automatic updates it is not going to turn itself off.

codecraig

codecraig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
yes I realize it won't turn itself off, but a user may attempt to.

also, I know there is no batch or exe already to do it, I was wondering if there was some registry setting or perhaps something in WMI that I can access/modify via a batch or exe.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
You could hide the part of the contral panel. Download tweak U from Here and you can use this to hide what ever you want to in the control panel, and do lot of other things as well. I then advise you uninstall it so untill reinstalled again the changes can't be undone.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 19 July 2005 - 06:00 AM.

codecraig

codecraig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
that's a possibility, however not preferrable. The whole idea is to avoid having to physically go to any of these machines. In this case I would have to go install Tweak UI, hide control panel, uninstall Tweak UI and move on to the next machine. Not all machines are in the same room or building. thats why i wanted a script or exe that I can send to each machine and have ran.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
codecraig,
Create a batch file and have it run on startup.

Contents of the batch file:
sc config wuauserv start= auto
sc start wuauserv
reg import c:\autoU.reg

(I have explained below on how to create this file, also change the path to whatever you desire).

How to create autoU.reg:
This file needs to be present at all PCs, that will run the batch file. But i needs to be created only once on ur PC.
Open Control Panel->Automatic Updates.
If your settings and other users' settings are different, then temporary change the seetings to what u desire for other users.
Close Automatic Updates Window.

Open regedit.
Goto
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update.
Right-click on Auto Update key, and choose Export. Choose ur desired path also make sure the Export Range is on Selected Branch and save.
U will need to copy this autoU.reg file to each PC that will run the batch file and on the desired path set in ur batch file above.

Note: U can also put the batch file in Scheduled Tasks, if u fear that some users might change settings after logging on.

Edited by darth_ash, 19 July 2005 - 07:49 AM.

codecraig

codecraig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
darth_ash,
that's exactly the kind of thing I am looking for. I will give that a try.

Thanks.
craig
http://www.codecraig.com

Advertisements

codecraig

codecraig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I would like to have a batch file which causes an auto update to occur immediately, or within the next minute...something like that. For win xp/2000.

any ideas on how to force it to kick off and update?

thanks

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Did'nt i make one for u already?
http://www.geekstogo...lly-t45305.html

Edited by darth_ash, 25 July 2005 - 09:41 AM.

codecraig

codecraig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
that didn't cause an immediate update...that's what I am stuck on now.

the autoUpdate.reg i have is...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update]
"ConfigVer"=dword:00000001
"AUOptions"=dword:00000004
"ScheduledInstallDay"=dword:00000000
"ScheduledInstallTime"=dword:00000003
"NextDetectionTime"="2005-07-25 11:25:00"
"ScheduledInstallDate"="2005-07-25 11:35:00"

....and i put it on the machine and when i look at the control panel it says it will update every day at 3am (the 3am isfrom ScheduledInstalltime)...i tried changing it to something else like 4, or 5...but didnt see a change. I tried messing with the next detection time and scheduledinstall date..but not much luck...at least i haven't noticed.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
If u remember, I asked u to modify the settings in Automatic Updates, to what u want for the other users and then create the autoUpdate.reg.
If u change the settings in Automatic Updates, u will have to create a new .reg file.

codecraig

codecraig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
that's right.

one problem is on a win2k box there was no reg.exe or regedit.exe ...just regedt32.exe ..what does win2k use then to modify registry from command-line?

thanks