Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost My Sound

• Please log in to reply

DOS2XP

DOS2XP

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
All my Email sounds and other Windows alert sounds are gone, but I can play them (mp3, wav, mid, etc) in Windows Media Player, as well as other players, for example, such as Roxio DVD Player, DivX Player, and RealPlayer.

I first noticed it when nothing would play in my Musicmatch Jukebox, and I am wondering if that could be the culprit. So far, Musicmatch and all of the Windows alerts are disabled somehow, even the intro sound when Windows first boots up.

Any help in getting my sounds back is appricated.

Advertisements

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
I'm not exactly sure if it's this way in english versions of XP because I am translating it from Dutch.

Start>control panel>sounds and audiodevices>sounds tab>choose your sound scheme. It probably says no sounds right now. Hit the scroll down tab and select windows standard sound scheme.

Hope that works for you.

Emery

Edited by S A A B, 18 July 2005 - 12:22 PM.

DOS2XP

DOS2XP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the tip, but it still doesn't work. My Sound Scheme was blank so I selected Windows Default, but it that didn't make any difference.

Thanks anyway!

Art

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
I know your sound works when you play mp3's etc. But try reinstalling your drivers. Or, when you have a seperate soundcard, remove it from device manager and turn off your comp. Reseat the card back in the slot and restart. Let windows find a driver for you and install it.

Hope that will work.

Emery

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Thanks for the tip, but it still doesn't work.  My Sound Scheme was blank so I selected Windows Default, but it that didn't make any difference.

Thanks anyway!

Art

View Post

after you did the above, scroll down the list...is there a speaker icon next to EMAIL NOTIFICATION?

select it and hit the arrow....do you hear a noise?

DOS2XP

DOS2XP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yes, there is a speaker symbol next to it. In fact, each and every program event that has a speaker next to it makes no sound. Hitting the arrow makes no sound.

I checked the volume controls and nothing is muted.

I haven't tried reloading the driver as S A A B has suggested. I was going to try that next, when I get around to it later today.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Look here under where did my sounds go?

DOS2XP

DOS2XP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,

All my Windows sounds are back. I don't have a sound card, but I use the onboard audio off of my motherboard.

What I did was, I powered everything down and I unplugged all my audio cables from my 6-speaker sound system, including the power cord to it. I rebooted my computer without my sound system to make sure the computer knew there was no sound equipment. Then I powered down and plugged my cables back to my computer and rebooted. My sound came back!

I recall now that I lost alert sounds after moving my compter from one corner of the room the other. It must have been the sequencing of when I plugged back in what cable. Now, all I have to figure out is how to get rid of an error message every time I boot up: "minboot.exe - Entry Point Not Found". I'll do another posting if I can't figure this out myself.

Thanks for all your suggestions. They were very helpful and I gained some insight from them.

Art :tazz: