Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 Computers, 1 DSL

• Please log in to reply

logan11

logan11

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
What's the cheapest way to split the internet on a DSL box to two computers. Me and my mother have our computers in the same room right now but we're building a house and she wants me to put my computer downstairs (I got my OWN level :tazz: ) and hers upstairs in the living room.

What's the cheapest way to split the internet between our 2 computers but still get a good connection, enough for me to play my games and enough for her to do her schoolwork.

Thanks for your help ;)

logan11

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Probably a wireless router, you need the router and one wireless card for the computer that's farthest from the internet connection, the other one can use a cable. A long cable by itself will be expensive and not work very well.

They will generally have one wireless connection and four wired ones.

Edited by Tyger, 18 July 2005 - 01:48 PM.

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
so 1 wireless router, 1 wireless card, and 1 (ethernet?) cable is all I need correct?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
That's about right. You may get a cable with the router. What kind of cable runs to your current computer?

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
ethernet cable

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Sounds about right, I have a similar setup, but ran a 75 ft wire around the side of the house and drilled holes to connect the rooms. I haven't noticed any problems with it, but in theory, you might experience some slowdown.

I got the 75 ft cable off of Amazon for about 6 bucks a few months ago, so it definately was not expensive.

It would be cheaper to go with a wired setup, but you may not want to drill holes in your walls and have to seal them. And of course you might experience a little less performance.

But, if you can easily afford a wireless setup I would reccommend it.

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Well, I think since it will be a new house that we're building, it can either go 2 ways, either she won't care about drilling as long as we get it done early, or she'll be super over-protective and not want to do it.

But she's already told me she'll pay for a wireless system if I set up and we get everything in 1 trip.

matt_fleming

matt_fleming

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Wireless router/gateway is your safest bet. Wireless will also cut down on the massive amount of cable lol.

-Matt

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
hm if I post some links to a few that I've seen around here would you mind telling me which is the best?

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
here's what I was looking at at Radioshack a few weeks back:

router:
http://www.radioshac.....ct_id=25-3175

card:
http://www.radioshac.....ct_id=25-3280