Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blank Cd not reading

• Please log in to reply

shobra

shobra

• Pip
  • 3 posts
When I insert a blank Cd in my RW drive, it is not recognized. The light keeps blinking but the Cd is not being read.

The drive does read Cds that have already something on it. Also I can write on CDs on which I have already written something but not finalized it. But it wont read blank cds.

So far the only thing that I have not tried, which I think may solve the problem, is that all the blank CDs in my box (which were bought abt 2 years ago) have all somehow got corrupted and may be new CDs will work. But before I go and buy new CDs I want to be sure that problem is not with my computer. I still have abt 12 blank Cds left so I dont want to go shopping just yet.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so when you open your burning software and try to burn a new CD it says "please insert a blank disk into drive...whatever"?

shobra

shobra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yup. and when I right-click on the D: drive and go to properties, it shows the capacity as 0 bytes, used space 0 bytes, free space 0 bytes.

I hope that helps.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try updating the drivers

shobra

shobra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
great idea. Just tell me how.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
easiest (in theory) is to have the disk that came with the drive (of course no one keeps that disk so scratch that) in the absence of that disk go to the manufacturer's website and download the newest driver for that drive