Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

NO TASKBAR - NO ICONS AT STARTUP

• Please log in to reply

jst4tab

jst4tab

• Pip
  • 1 posts
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!

I HAVE A LAPTOP AND IT HAS BEEN RUNNING CRAZY SLOW LATELY. THE OTHER NIGHT I DESIDED TO DOWNLOAD NORTON ANTI-VIRUS TO HOPEFULLY HELP MY COMPUTER. ONCE IT WAS INSTALLED I HAD TO REBOOT - ONLY THIS TIME WHEN IT STARTED UP, ALL I HAD WAS MY DESKTOP WALLPAPER, NO ICONS, START MENU, TASKBAR, ANYTHING!!! I CAN OPEN THE TASK MANAGER WITH CONTROL ALT DELETE - BUT CAN'T CONNECT TO THE INTERNET OR OPEN SOME FILES. MY FEAR IS I DELETED SOMETHING I SHOULDN'T HAVE THAT WAS KEEPING MY SYSTEM RUNNING.

I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING I CAN THINK OF. I GOT OUT MY RE-INSTALLATION DISK THAT CAME WITH MY COMPUTER BUT WHEN I TRY TO RE-INSTALL IT SAYS:

SETUP CANNOT CONTINUE BECAUSE THE VERSION OF WINDOWS ON YOUR COMPUTER IS NEWER THAN THE VERSION ON THE CD.

SO WHAT DO I DO NOW - PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS IDEAS IT WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED!!

THANKS SO MUCH!

Advertisements

LithiumO2

LithiumO2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Firstly, learn how not to post in capslock.

Secondly, my advice to you is to reformat your computer completely. Erase everything. Let no files survive. Then, reinstall your operating system.

pc upgrades

pc upgrades

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i once had a problem like this i reinstalled XP and the task bar and start button was misssing , What i did was rebooted in safe mode and enabled VGA in thesafe mode menu let the computer start up and then rebooted

loyinad

loyinad

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm having the exact same problem on a different computer. One day I shut down normally. The next day it starts up normally but then nothing comes up once you get into the user account. Just the Wallpaper image. You can open the task manager and see some processes running. There is no Start menu and no icons. I tried Safe mode and the same thing happenes.

Please Help I'm out of ideas

pc upgrades

pc upgrades

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Have you looked to see if the taskbar is on autohide

pc upgrades

pc upgrades

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Have you tried logging into another user account to see if it is the same in all acounts

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Hi jst4tab.
I lost all my desktop icons yesterday so I understand how
frustrating that BLANK wallpaper looks...Here is how
I got them all back! (I took some advice from this site.)

Although your problem may be more intense than just missing
desktop icons but that is maybe a first step?

Right click on your desktop picture (wallpaper) and then click on arrange
icons
and show on desktop and the icons should all come back
on your screen.

Good Luck. :tazz:
I hope this simple procedure works for you.
Let us know.

P.S. The re-booting (re-starting) suggestion is always a good idea when our
computers aren't working quite right.

Janie ;)

Edited by fflowergirl, 18 July 2005 - 08:56 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
people, please start your own thread, or sit tight in this one until the first person's issue is resolved (following along with any suggestions made to the first person).

jst4tab,

pcupgrades suggested logging in (trying) as a different user.....have you tried this?

We can then isolate if this is a profile issue or system issue

Second, can you load into safe mode---tap the f8 key during memory count up as your system first starts...about once a second,,,,you will get a text menu, choose safe mode. Work?