Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing XP on a box without CD drive

• Please log in to reply

Scourge

Scourge

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Recently a co-worker bought a second hand computer, and asked me to reformat and install windows XP on it. I figured no problem.

I figured wrong.

The computer is a Compaq. It's some little compact case that'll require me drilling out screws to get at the MoBo/power supply. With some stupid shuttle (or something like that) bay and connection for a CD drive

When I got the comp home and took the case appart I noticed that there is only 1 IDE channel, and 1 moulex connecter coming off the power supply, so I can't figure out a way to install a CD drive.

The only way I can figure to install an OS is to image the hard drive. I've never done this before and was hoping someone on here would have some suggestions as to what to do with this thing. Besides fill the case with Thermite and blow the SOB up

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Downoad and install this on it and post the report here, and we can tell whether it's practical or possible to do it. Belarc Advisor just gives a report on your system, but the nice thing is you can save the page and post it here.

http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html

And what model no. is it? Belarc can't see the markings on the case!

Edited by Tyger, 18 July 2005 - 03:21 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i say go for the thermite...but other than that...it's really hard to accomplish without the cd drive (well...harder than i like to try) you could put the hd in another computer and format it there...but the os wont work once you put it back into the other computer that it originally came from... ive heard tell of being able to request xp on a floppy from microsoft....but i think they only send you those as an office joke....i mean...it would be like 30 - 75 floppies..

Scourge

Scourge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No floppy drive either :tazz:

I'm not sure the model #. The PC is at home I'll post more details when I have it infront of me.