Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

corrupt file: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Peepo28, you need to use the original cd, not the copy!!

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 18 July 2005 - 08:11 PM.

Advertisements

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Murray,
so you think thats the reason why its not installing? i have used a copy of XP before on my regular desktop and it was fine...let me try to format the NTFS first...if that doesn't work, then i'll track down the original copy. <sigh>

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Murray,
so you think thats the reason why its not installing?  i have used a copy of XP before on my regular desktop and it was fine...let me try to format the NTFS first...if that doesn't work, then i'll track down the original copy. <sigh>

View Post

Are you saying your XP cd is a copy of someone else's cd??

Murray

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
yes, but its my brother's. so i can easily get it. i just want to see if i can work with this copy first. cuz it worked fine before with my regular computer. :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

yes, but its my brother's.  so i can easily get it.  i just want to see if i can work with this copy first.  cuz it worked fine before with my regular computer. :tazz:

View Post

If that is the case and your brother is using it, then what you have qualifies as pirated software.. And thus, sorry to say, your support ends right here as we do not support software piracy here!!

Buy your own version and use that to install and you should solve alot of your headaches..

Murray

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
but we live in the same house! the only reason he made a copy was so that i dont keep buggin him and going in his room to get it. but its not like he lives someplace else and i dont want to buy my own copy...<sigh> fine. i'll just figure it out myself...thanks for whatever support i got thus far.. I'm way to frustrated now to have to defend myself.

good night everyone

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

but we live in the same house! the only reason he made a copy was so that i dont keep buggin him and going in his room to get it.  but its not like he lives someplace else and i dont want to buy my own copy...<sigh> fine.  i'll just figure it out myself...thanks for whatever support i got thus far.. I'm way to frustrated now to have to defend myself.

good night everyone

View Post

It doesn't matter where you got it from or where he lives.. It is still pirated and thus illegal to use!!!

Murray

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
and murray, i find it very fishy that u said:

Lastly, is your XP cd an original or a copy you or someone made for you (different setup procedure)..

you didn't say anything about it being a piracy issue, u said u were asking b/c its a different setup procedure. then when i'm honest, and tell u, u basically tell me that u can't help me anymore, goodbye.

it just seemed strange how u went about asking whether it was a copy or not. and i really dont think thats the reason why its not installing. i'll figure it out, though. but, thats all. sorry to bother u.

Peepo28

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
ok, so would it be a piracy issue if we shared the cd? if he bought it for the both of us...as we ARE related and in the same house...would that be considered piracy? cuz i could've easily just used his original. i mean i can literally go get it now. so for you to make it seem like i'm trying to steal or something...anyhow, i'm not going to get riled up. you have a right to believe what u want, and i'll respect that. if i knew all of this, i wouldn't have posted b/c i dont want to put people in a weird position where they don't feel comfortable answering.

sorry again!!

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Nuff said.. I will ask a mod to close this thread and any other you start while using or attempting to use the pirated version..

Murray

If you ever decide to read the XP EULA (End Users License Agreement), it says that ONE XP for ONE system.. NO, you can't use even the original on your system !! That is still piracy!!

Edited by Murray S., 18 July 2005 - 08:54 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Peepo,

I can tell you had no idea that what you are doing is wrong, but the simple fact is that when you buy windows, you're not actually buying a disk, but a license to use software. The software license for Windows is one copy for one PC--that's why you get one cd, and one certificate of authenticity.

Legally, by providing help to you, whether you realized your copy was illegal or not, we would be complicit in piracy and the fines are hefty to say the least.

We wish you good luck in whatever course you follow, but we cannot help you.

If it were me, I'd get the boyfriend who broke your PC to buy you a copy of windows :tazz: (it's the least he can do)