Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

won't boot up

• Please log in to reply

lolbaby2105

lolbaby2105

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a HP Pavilion N5415 Laptop came with XP installed. The laptop worked fine then all of the sudden it will not start up. I get an error message, unbootable something. I went to HP site and saw that systems with XP may do this, they admitt to not sending the correct system recovery disc with package of new product. I contacted them to get the correct disc and was charged $50.00 for new disc and when I received disc it was wrong as well. When I try to install the disc I receive a message saying "wrong notebook model". I am pulling my hair out over this one. I keep contacting HP and can not get them to send me the correct disc. Does anyone know of a fix for this? I have tried installing Windoes 2000 Pro on laptop but am unable to get correct drivers to get machine to work properly. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I am unclear on what you have now?

Did you try and fail on the windows 2000 install, or not bother?

What is the exact error message?

Is it on a blue screen or black screen

lolbaby2105

lolbaby2105

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I attempted to install Windows 2000 Pro, it installed but does not work properly because it does not have the correct drivers. I would like to go back to Windows XP but since HP keeps sending the wrong system restore discs, that has not been possible. The erroe message is on a blue screen. It does not stay up very long but says something like unmountable boot drive. Every disc I receive from HP that is supposedly the correct discs say Wrong Model Notebook. I have tried going to HP website and downloading drivers but these do not fix the problem either. Let me clear up the fact that the notebook will now boot up with Windows 2000 Pro installed, not getting that message any longer it just will not run properly. Distorted Screen, No internet capabilities, it says it can not find ethernet card, Multi media card. I do not know the brand of these things in the laptop so I do nto know wher to go to obtain the correct drivers. Thanks for any help you can provide.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, so you have a dual boot system at the moment?

within windows 2000,

start > run
cmd
enter

type
chkdsk /r
at the command prompt and hit
enter

Say yes to checking disk at next boot up, reboot.

Let it do its thing, then let it start normally, choosing xp

what now?