Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Appearance changes

• Please log in to reply

non_haiku

non_haiku

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I've been having some problems with spyware, viruses, etc. and it seems like I've finally got everything fixed, but there's still a couple of problems.

First, the task bar, icons and window elements (e.g. scroll bar, menu and toolbars) look like an older version of windows and not the soft blue of Windows XP. Is there a way that I can get the soft blue back?

Second, internet explorer is completely dead, as it won't load any pages. I was able to download mozilla and get access to the web. Is there a way to repair internet explorer?

Thanks for all the help. I followed the advice in a separate forum on spyware removal and everything seems to be working just fine at the moment.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
To address problem one, please download the following, unzip it, double click and say yes to merging with registry

for problem two, do you have a folder called

c:\windows\windows update files
?

Attached Files

non_haiku

non_haiku

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a c:/windows/windowsupdate.txt file. Is that what you mean?

Edited by non_haiku, 18 July 2005 - 07:35 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no folder...trying to gauge what version of IE you have and where it came from....

(btw---did you download the reg file and did it fix the other issue?)

OK, download the ie6 setup program

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/ie6.html

Now,

Start > run
regedit
navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

in the right hand pane, double click
IsInstalled
change the value from 1 to 0
quit regedit

run ie6setup

non_haiku

non_haiku

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I ran through the process you mentioned, but when I ran the setup, I got a message saying "a previous installation has pending work requiring a reboot. Setup will now close".

All of this stuff happened as a result of Malware and my initial attempts to fix the problem.

Here's description of what happened:

My computer was recently infected with SpySheriff (my question on how to fix that problem is in another section) and at the same time my internet explorer (IE 6) stopped working. First, there was a message that said "cannot resolve dns name". My firewall is the ZoneAlarm. I thought that I might be having conflicts with Spysheriff and my firewall, so I uninstalled Zonealarm. Lo and behold, I could now access the internet, as long as I did it through the Spysheriff update page. I ran Adaware to remove spysheriff, but then I lost internet access. I now have a message that says "page cannot be displayed". Also, my Spysheriff problems started when I downloaded DC++. I thought DC++ might be causing some problems, so I also uninstalled that. Considering my problems with DC++ and the legal issues, file-sharing is not for me.

I found out from another site that users have problems when they uninstall Kazaa (which I don't have--DC++ was my first and only foray into file sharing). One program that was recommended was Kazaabegone. Could my problems be somewhat related?

Edited by non_haiku, 18 July 2005 - 10:51 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
could be...did the malware section helper clear you as clean?

Check this for help on getting ie installed

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=309314

non_haiku

non_haiku

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I followed the link in your last reply, but it wasn't any help. That web page was for problems for users on a Microsoft Windows Millenium Edition. I'm using Windows XP. In the instructions on the page is says to "click to clear each check box except Load Static VxDs" but I didn't have that option in msconfig. I lost Internet Explorer after I ran some basic spyware software (Adaware) and after I added an anti-virus program (Zone Alarm anti-virus), but before the steps that I took to completely clean my computer (Adaware, HijackThis, Ewido Security Suite, SmitRem). I'm using Mozilla's Firefox as my default browser. After my computer was infected with malware I tried to use SystemRestore. Does that mean anything to you?

The Malware Section helper hasn't had the chance to reply to my messages. I followed all of the advice in the "Read this First" post in the Malware section, but I have no idea if my system is completely clear or not.

Also, the appearance of my icons and desktop has returned to normal. Thanks for the help. I realize that my problem is spanning outside the realm of the operating system forum and into Malware. No problem if you're outside your jurisdiction and you're unwilling to help on my other problem.

Edited by non_haiku, 19 July 2005 - 05:19 PM.