Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP black screen on startup

• Please log in to reply

Insta

Insta

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, I found this forum while trying to find an answer to my problem.

Today, I restarted into BIOS and changed a couple things like AGP aparture size and whatnot...nothing major, and when I restarted my computer, Windows would not start. After a while of struggling with it, unplugging my IDE stuff, restarting a lot etc, I finally got into windows once. I also did manage to go back to default bios settings.

Now, my windows DOES load, but on restart it black screens for a good 5 minutes at least, after about 1.5 passes of the WinXP loading bar. It looks like it hangs in that black screen, but then eventually pulls through (for now). I have tried safe mode, last working mode etc but nothing is fixing this problem! Anyone know what could be causing this?

My comp is:
athlon 64 3000+,
MSI K8N Neo Mobo,
Geforce 6800 GT,
120gb SATA HD,
768 MB pc2100 ram
windows XP

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
most likely a corrupted driver

start > run
msconfig
enter

go to the boot.ini tab, check /bootlog, reboot.

this will create a boot log.

then go to c:\windows and locate Ntbtlog.txt

attach it here.

Insta

Insta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Here is the attatchment.

This time i sat in windows just seeing my mouse and background for a while, then i hit ctrl-alt-del for task manager and my icons and stuff all appeared.

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Hey insta....are you in safe mode now? That log looks like a safe mode log....you're not loading much of anything....

Insta

Insta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hm, no that was normal windows. It looks like it tries to load some of those drivers, especially the sound ones, many many times...not sure if thats normal or not cause I haven't seen a log like this before.

Edited by Insta, 18 July 2005 - 06:31 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
nor I....do you have system restore enabled?

Insta

Insta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yes, i have it on

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
and did you try to restore to a prior date?

What was the result?

Insta

Insta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
System restore did not work either. :tazz:

Its like 3-4 mins of black screen at windows loading, then the login screen comes up, i click to login and it takes another 1-2 minutes till i see my windows background and a mouse, and then it takes another 4-5 mins for the icons to appear.

Insta

Insta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
anyone know whats wrong? :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
got so many threads going I cannot keep them straight anymore....

Is this computer on a network? or Dialup?

Have you run a chkdsk lately?

Could you provide a hijack log so I can see what is loading at startup? See my signature for a link

Also, download bootvis

http://www.majorgeek...oad.php?det=664

install and run, go to trace, choose TRACE > NEXT BOOT AND DRIVER DELAYS...reboot.

when it returns, it will popup a graph--maximize the window...take a screen capture and post it.

jpsawyer

jpsawyer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am experiencing the same thing. I created a boot log and it looks very similar to the one posted earlier. Same thing happens in safe mode as well. Initial boot goes fine to the login screen, post-login the screen is blank (black, but that is the setting of my desktop), mouse is active, hard drive is not running, but nothing happens for a minute to a minute and a half. Very consistent.

IBM Thinkpad T41
Windows XP SP2
1 GB Ram