Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

The last upgrade

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ive been pondering this for a few days, and now Im posting this to hear some opinions on what will be the last upgrade to my current rig, before starting up and saving on a future one (maybe 18 months later) so this upgrade must be the best possible thing.
Ok I own a Dell Dimension 8200 (Pentium 4 2.4 CPU, 850e motherboard, 512 RDRAM pc800 memory, ASUS radeon 9800 (flashed to XT) and after giving Half life 2, Rome; Total War & Far Cry spins, its pretty clear I will need an upgrade to make it through with the next generation games (my beloved Elder Scrolls will probably still bring my system to its knees though) I have a $400 budget to spend, and these have been my possible options:
-The fastest possible CPU my motherboard can handle (3.06) plus 256 more RAM (two 256 sticks, but taking out two of my four existing 128 sticks)
-a full gig of ram (for a total of 1280 RAM)
-The 3.06 CPU plus a new power regulator (because my current one is 250wts, and the new procesor might require more, plus the radeon has a recommended power supply at 350 wts)
So any suggestions would be apreciated

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
the video card seems perty fine 9800 pros run perty good.
i would say ram. then ya can run hl2 with high settings. otherwise it does not have enough memory to store the data needed during the levels so it as to store it in your hard drive. now hard drives take awhile to pull the data out and send it to the processor that then sends it to the ram normaly. 512 is perty good for just using the desktop but once it comes to games need a gig for some great preformance and deffintly not lag as much. battlefield can take on 2 gigs if you had it with everything on high.

ya also might wanna get a 400W power supply.

Edited by RogueComGeek, 18 July 2005 - 07:48 PM.