Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD-ROM

• Please log in to reply

kazi4u2nv03

kazi4u2nv03

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey guyz...i really need some help...ive tried almost every cd and DVD in my SONY VAIO PCG-FX300 laptop..the drive just doesnt seem to read any cds....the blinking light does come on for a while..but then it stops and doesnt auto load or anything...when i go to my computer and try to manually acces the folders in the cd...all it says is please insert a disk into Drive d:...i really need help i spent a lot of money buying this laptop about 1700$ and i dont want it to be wrecked....if there is a solution plz post...or if i can do anything to fix it.....i have also tried cleaning the lens....but no hope...pLZ>>>>I REALLY NEED HELP....

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
here are some things to try :
1. go to display manager and look for yellow '!' and red 'x' in the CD/DVD devices
2. remove CD/DVD devices using device manager, reboot, let windows reinstall devices
3. check the IDE cable connection. if the cable is gray with a red stripe look here.
4. check the master/slave jumper
5. if you are impatient run CDGONE
6. have a friend/expert look at your registry for upper & lower filters and remove them
7. try devices in a similar vintage PC(newer devices may not work in an older PC)
8. for xp - http://www.geekstogo...=ST&f=9&t=43863, posts 4 & 5
9. try a known good CD. try different manufacturer CD. burn at a slower rate.

if the devices just quit working out of the blue: try 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 9
if hardware was changed: 1, 2, 3, 4, 7
if CD/DVD burning software was removed: 1, 2, 5, 6, 8

Edited by bdlt, 20 July 2005 - 12:40 AM.

kazi4u2nv03

kazi4u2nv03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
ok i tried almost all your suggestions....but nothing worked..the only thing i didnt try was 3. check the IDE cable connection. if the cable is gray with a red stripe look here.
4. check the master/slave jumper

cuz i dont no how to open this LAPTOP..since the cd drive is not removaable....also i dont no what master/slave jumper is so....
btw...the cd drive just suddenly stopped working...cuz 2 days ago it was working perfectlyfine....if you can...can u show me or tell me how to remove the cd drive and then chek the IDE cable.....the proble is that that when i insert a cd....it is about to read it because i can hear the noise...after that it just gives up on reading the cd.. and does not do anything...plz if you have more suggestions can u help me....PLZZZZZZZ

kazi4u2nv03

kazi4u2nv03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
also device manager shows that the cd drive is running perfetly fine..wiht no "X" or "!" signs near it...the drive also shows up in my computer...its just not reading anything

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
I missed that you have a laptop. the cabling may be different there. if no devices have been installed recently, the only reason to check the cable would be to make sure it hasn't worked its way loose. I would not open it up now if nothing has been installed recently.

it sounds like you drivers are ok - no yellow or red flags in device manager. and if you removed the devices using device manager and windows successfully reinstalled the drivers - they are probaly ok. please recheck device manager if the drivers were reinstalled and look for the red and yellow flags.

what to try next? make sure you are testing the cdrom with known good CDs. it appears that the cdrom may be bad. you might find someone familiar with that laptop to help you or check back here to see if anyone out there can give you instructions on removing the cdrom. sorry, I can't help there.

questions before you do anything - has anything changed recently on the laotop i.e. new hardware, new software, ...? or have you removed any burning software recently? the more details you give, the better someone can help.

kazi4u2nv03

kazi4u2nv03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
questions before you do anything - has anything changed recently on the laotop i.e. new hardware, new software, ...? or have you removed any burning software recently? the more details you give, the better someone can help.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
no nothing recently has been changed on teh laptop....also no new hardware or software has been added..its not a cd-r/rw so i didnt have any burning software on my hd anyways....also as i mentioned that "i shudnt open the laptop yet.." i actually have figured out a way to open the laptop and access the cd drive so u dont have to worry bout that....but will opening it really help.....is that my laser has burnt out...hope not... cuz my drive doesnt read anything....i have also tried well knwo cds ...such as orginal cd of windows xp home edition...also..i have tried...orignal windows 2000 cd..i also tried lord of the rings DVD....none of these cds have worked....plz anyone if u can help me....i really need to fix this drvie......i spent a lot on this laptop.....!!!!!!

However...if u guyz think that my laser has burnt out and i need to replace my DVD drive...do have any idea...which DVD drive i can buy...like i have loooked at some on ebay....which seem like they are similar.....but im not sure.....just help me out on that....BUT IF THERE IS AN EASIER WAY TO FIX THIS DRIVE ON THE LAPTOP PLEEEEZZZZ EHLP ME

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
I don't have an easy way to resolve this. now that the laptop is open is there a way for you to remove the drive and try it in a similar laptop? or can you try another drive in you laptop? it may not be easy to find compatible test hardware.

someone else will have to help with a replacement drive. make sure you get one that is compatible with your laptop.

there's another possible cause. since it quit working for no apparent reason, there might be a malware problem with your laptop. you might consider opening a new thread and submitting a HJT log. someone will get back with you within 5 days on the HJT log. you can pursue the hardware angle while waiting for a HJT expert.

I'm sorry I wasn't more helpful.

kazi4u2nv03

kazi4u2nv03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
what is an HJT log and how do i post it....plz explain to me in detail how to get this HJT log..i dont no what it is

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
the details are here

kazi4u2nv03

kazi4u2nv03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
HERE IS THE LOG FILE OR WHATEVER ITS CALLED...I HOPE IT FIXES MY DRIVE...I REALLY NEED THE CD DRIVE BECUASE I DONT EVEN HAVE MICROSFOT WORD INSTALLED PLZEE..... INEEEED HELP.........PLZZZZZZZ

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:58:45 AM, on 7/21/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXPService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\HotKey Utility\HKserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WG511v2\wlancfg5.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\Opera\Opera.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Shahaan Kazi\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar =

http://www.accoona.c...400011&utm_cont

ent=leftnav&utm_source=wdz1&utm_medium=bund&utm_campaign=wdz0605a
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.accoona.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =

http://www.accoona.c...400011&utm_cont

ent=leftnav&utm_source=wdz1&utm_medium=bund&utm_campaign=wdz0605a
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) =

http://www.accoona.com/search?q=%s
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program

Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Accoona Search Assistant - {944864A5-3916-46E2-96A9-A2E84F3F1208} - C:\Program

Files\Accoona\ASearchAssist.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program

files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: TGTSoft Explorer Toolbar Changer - {C333CF63-767F-4831-94AC-E683D962C63C} -

C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\TGT_BHO.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program

files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe"

-osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HKSERV.EXE] C:\Program Files\Sony\HotKey Utility\HKserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [STYLEXP] C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXP.exe -Hide
O4 - Global Startup: NETGEAR WG511v2 Wireless Assistant.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program

Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://C:\Program

Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program

Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program

Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel -

res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program

Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://C:\Program

Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} -

C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program

Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program

Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} -

C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {15589FA1-C456-11CE-BF01-00AA0055595A} -

http://w4s.work4sure...ge/w4sgeen9.exe
O16 - DPF: {25365FF3-2746-4230-9DA7-163CCA318309} (GTDownloaderCtrl Class) -

http://inst.c-wss.co...ml/gtdownlr.cab
O16 - DPF: {E06E2E99-0AA1-11D4-ABA6-0060082AA75C} (GpcContainer Class) -

https://pc.mywebexpc.../ra/ieatgpc.cab
O23 - Service: StyleXPService - Unknown owner - C:\Program

Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXPService.exe

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Please re-open HiJackThis and scan. Check the boxes next to all the entries listed below.

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar=http://www.accoona.com/search_assistant/ac...400011&utm_content=leftnav&utm_source=wdz1&utm_medium=bund&utm_campaign=wdz0605a
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.accoona.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant=http://www.accoona.com/search_assistant/ac...400011&utm_content=leftnav&utm_source=wdz1&utm_medium=bund&utm_campaign=wdz0605a
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default)=http://www.accoona.com/search?q=%s

Now close all windows other than HiJackThis, then click Fix Checked.

This will take care of your browser hijacker, but wont fix your other problems. To be sure we tried the whole malware option, give this a try.

Please run an on-line virus scan at Kaspersky OnLine Scan or if that doesnt work, you can use TrendMicro or BitDefender. (Please post the results of the scan(s) in your next reply)

If that comes back clean, youll have to try something else, cuz its not malware related.

ScHwErV :tazz:

kazi4u2nv03

kazi4u2nv03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
im pretty sure its not an prgram problem...i think it is some kind of hardwaare prob....i used the scanner and had no negative results....here is teh log....is there anything else i can do to fix this problem....is my drive burnt out.....
----------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KASPERSKY ANTI-VIRUS WEB SCANNER REPORT
Thursday, July 21, 2005 15:22:55
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Kaspersky Anti-Virus Web Scanner version: 5.0.67.0
Kaspersky Anti-Virus database last update: 21/07/2005
Kaspersky Anti-Virus database records: 131479
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan Settings:
Scan using the following antivirus database: standard
Scan Archives: true
Scan Mail Bases: true

Scan Target - My Computer:
A:\
C:\
D:\
E:\

Scan Statistics:
Total number of scanned objects: 28564
Number of viruses found: 0
Number of infected objects: 0
Number of suspicious objects: 0
Duration of the scan process: 3365 sec
No malware has been detected. The sections that have been scanned are CLEAN.

Scan process completed.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Clean log.

Ill hand you back over to bdlt.

ScHwErV :tazz:

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
thank you ScHwErV.

kazi4u2nv03 - what have you tried since your last post?

kazi4u2nv03

kazi4u2nv03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
nothing yet.....havent done anything except scaning the hardrive which was perfect..