Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive detected but explorer won't recognize!

• Please log in to reply

Ignis

Ignis

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just took an 80 gig Western Digital HD out of my old computer that had Win2k and stuck it in with a 300 gig WD HD in my new computer that has WinXp. WinXp and bios both detect the old 80 gig HD slave, and windows even knows the name I assigned it ("Extra 80 Gig") from my old computer, but I cannot access the drive, nor can I assign a drive letter.

Windows knows how much space is left, it knows it is formatted, knows its NTFS, but I cannot access it. I don't have enough IDE cables to hook up my DVD-Rom right now so I can't try out the WinXp CD. I know that the cables are hooked up correctly and the jumper pins are set right. Reformatting is not an option. Attached is a screenie (and the cd-rom drive is the virtual one created by Alcohol burning software). Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• HDProblem1.jpg
  • HDProblem2.jpg

Edited by Ignis, 19 July 2005 - 12:57 AM.

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
You first have to assign a drive letter to it for it to show up in "My Computer". To do this right click on the drive in the managment screen and click on "Assign Drive Letter".

--Chris

Ignis

Ignis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I already tried that, the right click menu in disc management only allows delete to be clicked. I can't assign a drive letter anywhere, not even in Partition Magic. When I try it in there, the list of available drive letters is "None". And that's all.

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
does it show up in the device manager? If it does, then uninstall the drive (MAKE SURE YOU UNINSTALL THE CORRECT ONE! NOT THE ONE WITH WINDOWS ON IT!!!) Then click scan for hardware chenges and then go back to my computer and see if its there, if its not then go to disk mangment and try to assign a drive letter to it.

--Chris