Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

format of harddrive?

• Please log in to reply

woody1977

woody1977

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I want to reformat my harddrive, completly wipe it and start over again, how do I do this?? Can I do it through the pc somehow?? or will I need to get a "copy" of xp.
I have a reg number that come with the pc, it is official, so don't close the thread 'cos I said copy :tazz: I feel that now that I am 2 years more experienced on my pc, that I should get rid of everything and download all that I want again, shouldn't take much more than an hour. The other problem I have is that I have Norton, and don't know where my serial no. is, it originally came with 6 months sub on it, so will this just kick in again, or is there some way that I can get my number again.

cheers woody

Advertisements

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
umm, If you have a reg number, than you should also have a recovery disc. That reg number will only work with the recovery disc. If you don't have this disc anymore, you can re-order it from your manufacturer (i.e. Dell, Gateway, etc)
Note: Most manufacturers charge about $10 for this disc.. Depends though. Check out their web-site or customer service for more information.

In regards to Norton, you can find your serial number for this by going to Help > About. It should be displayed there.. If you can't find it, just go buy another Norton Antivirus, it is only about $40 in most stores.

At least it could be said, that you need the exact type of disc your reg number is for. So, you will need a recovery disc. Beyond that, if you don't know what the reg number is from, just go buy a new Windows disc(full retail) or try getting an OEM version (~$100-150 depending on your version, plus the cost of OEM-hardware you purchase with it) Go online and search for OEM Windows XP. Try Nextag.com. You are sure to find a good price.

woody1977

woody1977

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
It's ok I have found out how to do it, I can smart restor through packarbell support, through all programs.

cheers woody