Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Doom 3

• Please log in to reply

Ruckus

Ruckus

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I just got a new mobo and processor: Asus a7n8x-x and athlon xp 3200. I kept my old video card (radeon 9000). It handles doom 3 and all other games just really well. But...after about and a half or 2 hours, it will start to freeze up every few minutes on Doom3. I have a fan blowing right on the video card and it doesn't feel hot. Could the problem be the ancient video card, or something else?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Have you installed the latest drivers? You card is a bottle neck. A new card would give you much better performance with your system.

Ruckus

Ruckus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Have you installed the latest drivers? You card is a bottle neck. A new card would give you much better performance with your system.

View Post

Yeah, I just didn't have the cash for a new card along with the rest of the stuff. I'm going to upgrade soon. Any ideas for a good card that would match the system but wouldn't cost too much??

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
There should be some good deals as we approach the holidays. Basically, get the best card your budget will allow. An ATI 9800PRO or XT800 would be good matches.

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Here is a ATI Radeon 9800 PRO at Newegg.com and it is not a bad buy. The only thing that is wrong with it is that it only has 128MB of RAM. If you can spend the extra money and buy the 9800 PRO that has 256MB of RAM then get it if not just get the one that I link in here. One thing make sure that your Motherboard supports 8x AGP. Newegg.com is a great place to get PC Hardware from and shipping is fast.

Ruckus

Ruckus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I was wondering about the ATI X700 pro how would it compare to the 9800 pro? They are about the same price.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
The X700 is very new. I only remember reading one review on it, and it was very positive. However, I have no first hand experience with this card, so I'd suggest researching further. Has it been relaeased yet?

Ruckus

Ruckus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I found one for sale at Newegg. The specs sound better than the 9800, but the price is about the same so it makes me wonder if it really is better. Here is the one I found at Newegg.

URL=http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-414&depa=1

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Good review here:
http://www.hardocp.c...ml?art=NjY2LDE=

Ruckus

Ruckus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for the info. <_< I'm kinda leaning towards the 9800 pro. I just saw that ATI has the trade up program, so I can rid myself of this old 9000 and get 50 bucks off of the 9800.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Here's a very intricate Doom 3 hardware guide:
http://www2.hardocp....e.html?art=NjQ0