Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hate having to wipe and re-install Windows?

• Please log in to reply

EzTechGuy

EzTechGuy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hate having to totally wipe everything and re-installing Windows?

NEW PC
OLD PC

NO matter….!

I know what ya dredding....my my, ya computer is acting up to where you know your needing to totally wipe and fdisk and format and clean your hard drive and start off fresh!

YEP, I know, I know....LOL

PLEASE READ ALL BELOW.

I can have my pc wiped, cleaned and back up in perfect working order with under 30 min.s!

OH it takes a long time to have ever single thing freshly re-installed!

Wipe and format
Install Windows
Install ever single driver for your Video, Sound, Modem, Lan, USB ports ect.
Install Antivirus / Firewall
Getting those all upto date, and OH if you have lovely Dialup, its gonna be all night thing almost.
Installing each and every single program!

NO matter what pc you have its a real long lengthy pain in the arsss task of having to totally wipe and format and fresh re-installing every single thing and only HOPE you have saved vital docs and so on to CD's or other media!

My wife and I have 2 matching Dell 2300 pc's we have had for 3 years and we love them and a older pc for our own Web, FTP and IRC Server.

This is just a suggestion to you that might save you big big bunch of time and head ache pain!

About 15 years ago or longer I had to wipe and format and totally re-install every single program and drivers ect. and lost 3 years worth of docs and programs and music I had saved over the years. I didn't have a CD Burner nor extra IDE Hard Drives like I do now nor the BIG thing, I did not have a good or great pc back up program! I had to wipe and fdisk and format and lost 3 years of saved important stuff! Oh, I hated that! I said then, by gosh this is not to happen ever again if possible! A close buddy of mine a few years back when that happened had aslo had lost alot and had to do the same and he had ran up on a GREAT computer back up program! SURE they are lots of pc back up programs but I want to tell you how great this one is for me and lots of my close buddies I know now that have computers.

I have and use XP Home and XP Pro on my pc's. "but some of my close friends that have pc's have older Win95 / Win98 / Win98SE / WinME also uses this the same and is as ohh so pleased as I am"

I have also a program I use on my pc hard drives other than just plain format, its much more powerful and has better chance to get rid of bad things on your hard drive. Its called WIPE. This powerful WIPE program is small but OH so powerful! It will fit on to a floppy disk also.

Even though I have XP Home OR XP Pro on most of my pc's and my friends pc's I still have and use a WinME BOOT DISK FLOPPY. I have a WinME boot disk with also the WIPE program on it as well. They are just enough room on the same floppy disk for both. Its handy this way.

The great loved computer back up program is called:

Drive Image 2002 by: Powerquest

NOTE this:
Symantec Corporation On December 5, 2003, Symantec Corporation acquired the technology and interests of PowerQuest Corporation.

I have and use Drive Images 2 Floppy Rescue Floppies mostly along with my WinME Boot disk floppy with its WIPE.

If I need to wipe, fdisk and format and totally back up my pc back to a perfect status, I use a extra IDE Hard Drive and these 3 floppy disks. Used to wipe, fdisk, format and back up my pc off a extra 2nd IDE hard drive with in under 30 min.s or less!

NOTE:
You can back up your pc with Drive Image to CD's or DVD's but the fastest way is to a extra Hard Drive! I have a 20 Gig IDE 7200 speed hard drive for my windows but for my Drive Image back up files I have an extra 2nd IDE 7200 speed hard drive. I have both plugged to the dual motherboard data ribbon at same time inside my pc's. "If your pc doesn't have a dual hard drive ribbon, you can buy a dual hard drive ribbon for under $10 bucks"

I install Drive Image 2002 onto my pc.

Make the 2 floppy Drive Image Rescue Floppy disks.

I have a Dual IDE Hard Drive Motherboard data grey ribbon on my pc's so I can have 2 IDE hard drives, one is for Windows operating system installed on it.

I start up pc with Drive Image 2002 installed on my pc now. I then have my 2 IDE hard drives already plugged in. I click on Start, then all programs, then click on Drive Image. I then click on 1 of 2 questions: CREATE A BACK UP IMAGE or RESTORE A BACK UP IMAGE. I then click on Create a back up image, put a check mark in what hard drive I want to back up, click destination source, choose my 2nd hard drive and then click finish icon button and off the pc goes! It then will reboot the pc, go into drive image 2002 by its self and create a back up file image and then reboot its self and your back to your desktop and you have just created a nice back up of your pc when its in perfect working order and ready to have when and if you need to wipe, fdisk, and format and back up to that back up image file!

NOW....
Your pc is acting up and throwing a fit and you have that bad sickning feeling you have to wipe, and clean and re-do all of your pc. Re-installing all back. BUT thank god you have a nice handy back up image to fall back to and within under 20 to 30 min.s you can use the 2 Drive Image Rescue Floppy disks along with your WinME boot disk!

Steps:
Put in WinME Boot disk floppy in drive A: with pc all the way shut down.
Power on the pc and boot pc up with the WinME boot floppy in.
Choose with CD Rom support choice.
***If you have WIPE on your WinME boot disk you now type this below:
A:/wipe 0 <----- the word wipe then one single number zero then enter.
Let it wipe when done, at A: prompt in black dos screen you type:
A:/fdisk then do fdisk steps.
When you are done fdisk and its saying hit ESC just hold power button of pc in and totally shut down the PC.
While pc is totally shut down, unplug AC power cord from pc, hook up 2nd hard drive you have your pc back up file images on to grey dual data ribbon that your windows is installed on and currently already inside the pc and hooked up. Hook up the 2nd hard drive to data grey ribbon and its power cord to hard drive.
Plug AC power cord in.
Put 1 of 2 Drive Image floppy disks in the Floppy drive.
Push power button in and start boot up of pc with it in, let is load and soon it will tell you to take out floppy disk #1 and put in #2 floppy disk of Drive Image rescue disk in and hit any key.
Click and choose 1 of 2 question icon buttons of Drive Image 2002 screen: click and choose RESTORE IMAGE.
Go through steps and click icon buttons and find your for example "BOBSJULY82005.PQI" file and choose finish.
It will take off restoring your pc and with in 30 min.s or less your pc will be asking if you want to read results and you click yes or no.
Take out floppy disk and start and reboot your pc!

WaaaLaaaaa.... your pc is booted up and loaded and you are now looking at your desk top when your pc was in perfect working order and when you had ALL your programs and docs when you created the back up image file!!!! Your desktop and all programs are all back and all in perfect working state and your Antivirus and Firewall are all up to date as well!

OHH my gosh, I love having it and once you do these steps, you will see, its not a big deal period and OH its so nice not to loose everything! So nice not to have to re-install ever single thing back! Not having to re-install all the pc hardware with its driver files which is such a head ache!

I love it !!!!!

I just typed all this out and wanted to post this to help maybe another person might do this and not have such a head ache pain in the arssss not having a back up program!

Just trying to help out.....

The newer Drive Image is v7.0 is good and because so many like myself LOVE the more simple great Drive Image 2002, the Drive Image v7.0 comes with it as well.
To buy it, here is a suggestion web link to get it:
http://www.amazon.co...ftware&n=541966

Post a reply please?

EzTechGuy

Advertisements