Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need urgent help: display is stuck on 16 colours

• Please log in to reply

juni0r

juni0r

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

My computer display has become stuck in 16-colour mode, and the mouse pointer doesn't appear unless I start in Safe Mode. I tried to do a System Restore, but it says that System Restore can't run because it needs at least 200 MB of memory (although I've got about 9 GB free). If I change the display settings, they just revert back to 16-colour & 640x480 pixels when I restart. I'm a graphic designer and am in the middle of a job, so I need to fix it urgently, but I don't know enough to do it myself. I've looked at the other posts on similar topics, and I've tried to install new drivers for my Nvidia graphics card, but I can't find the right ones and I don't know how to install them when I do find them!

Here's the Everest report from my PC:

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows ME
OS Service Pack -
DirectX 4.08.01.0901 (DirectX 8.1b)
Computer Name OEMCOMPUTER (Unknown User)
User Name default

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon, 1300 MHz (13 x 100)
Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-7ZM(P) (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 AMR, 3 DIMM, Audio)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8363 Apollo KT133
System Memory 256 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (08/01/00)

Display:
Video Adapter nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 M64 (Gigabyte GA-622)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 M64

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Creative SB PCI128 (Ensoniq ES5880) Sound Card
SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

Partitions:
C: (FAT32) 37156 MB (9394 MB free)

Peripherals:
Printer EPSON Stylus Photo 1290
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller

I'm not sure if that's the right info, but if anyone can help me, I'll be eternally grateful.

Thanks a lot,

Will

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
HI
here is the driver you need when you click on the download click run it will run it from a temp file make sure to restart your system after you install the driver.
driver download
:tazz:

juni0r

juni0r

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks very much, I'll try that now & let you know how it turns out!

Cheers,

Will

juni0r

juni0r

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Right, I've just installed the new driver but it's still not working. Beforehand, I could change the settings to high-colour (although it reset itself to 16-colour whenever I restarted), but now I only have the option of 16-colour. Is there anything else I can try? I've got no idea what's wrong.

Thanks,

Will

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
looks like the driver I said may not work with yours so I checked to see if the MB maker had one that would go with your systen and they do so uninstall the driver that you download in add&remove programs in control panel. then download and install this one for your OS
CLICK HERE

juni0r

juni0r

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Excellent, thanks. Will try that now.

Cheers,

Will

juni0r

juni0r

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Tazz1964, you are a genius! My display is now fixed - thank you very much! There's still no mouse though - do I need to download drivers for that as well? It's a Compaq mouse.

Yours very gratefully,

Will

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
Is your mouse pluged into your mouse port or usb?
You can try reinstalling your 4in1 chipset drivers your audio is on this page too.
4in1 driver

juni0r

juni0r

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi again,

The mouse is plugged into the mouse port. I think all my problems started from a Windows auto update - is it best to reinstall the drivers for everything (printer, scanner etc.)? I can't try those drivers right now but will do it as soon as I can tomorrow & report back. Thanks again for helping me out!

juni0r

juni0r

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi again,

I finally got my computer working again! Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out. I'm seriously grateful!

Thanks,

Will