Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP SP2 - broke programs running

• Please log in to reply

Leroyb

Leroyb

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,
I had a lot of trouble with trojans, viruses and malware on my PC. I managed to fix all those with the help of this forum. I then installed XP SP 2 with the auto-updates option on my PC. That installed fine. When I rebooted, I was unable to open any programs like INternet Explorer or Office programs. However the PC is not frozen, as I can open things like Control Panel to a point. Is there a way to roll back XP SP 2? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
prior to installing SP2, Windows creates a restore point for your PC to refer back to in the case of any problems.
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System restore and restore your Pc to an erlier date beofre the install date of SP2

Leroyb

Leroyb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Samiko,
I'll give that a go tonight.

Leroyb

Leroyb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,
Win XP is ot allowing me to run System Restore in either normal or safe mode. I receive the error, that "System Restore is unable to run, please restart your PC and try again.". I have also tried "Last good known configuration" option from F8 menu.

I have run full virus scans and Adaware. A few trojans were found in the system restore directory and cleaned. System Restore still does not work.

I tried to uninstall XP SP2 from the Add Remove Programs option in control panel. It fires up then freezes.

I am not sure what to try next, I seem to have exhausted all my options.

Is there any other way to run a system restore - say from a command prompt or something?

It is looking increasingly like I may have to do a re-install of XP.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Leigh.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Microsoft has a program that removes spyware and virus off your computer to, may this was downloaded to removed some of this.

Have any of you done a repair using your XP CD and rebooting the computer to boot off the CD? :tazz:

sixpack6t9

sixpack6t9

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I have had the problem leroyb has--all I had to do was go to system restore panel and simply uncheck the "turn off system restore" box and reboot! My virus caused sys restore to be disabled "turned off" during cleaning.

Ya might try that if you haven't already.

Leroyb

Leroyb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi sixpack,
I will check if system restore is turned on or off. Unfortunately the XP documentation online says thet if resotre is turned off - you lose all your restore points, which won't be too helpful for me in this instance! I'll keep you posted.