Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer not recognizing IEEE 1394

• Please log in to reply

karen58

karen58

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I have a Kanguru USB 2 PCI card & internal hub(3 USB & 2 Firewire). I can use the USB ports but I cannot use the firewire ports. I updated the driver for the system from Microsoft but then had to uninstall that. I do not have any other firewire ports, but I do have listed in the device manager "OHCI compliant IEEE host controller". I am trying to capture video via firewire. Got any ideas? :tazz:

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
in the device manager, are there any "!" or "X" marks next to the device controller?

--Have you tried downloading the latest drivers for your device from the manufacture's web site?

--Chris

karen58

karen58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I tried updating the 1394 controller but Windows said there was no better driver, I tried updating the USB controller & I ended up having to roll back that driver as everything went haywire. I have included a pic of my device manager, I see no problems. I put a Kanguru hub w/3 USB ports & 2 firewire ports in, the USB ports work but I cannot get the computer to recognize anything plugged into the firewire ports. Got any ideas? Thanks, Karen. :tazz:

Attached Files

• Attached File  DM.doc   78.5KB   42 downloads

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Does the IEEE 1394 have an external power suppy? or does the PCI board have a 4 pin power conndctor on back of Board? - to provide external power. . .

Are you trying to run a video camera? How much current is your video device drawing? Did you load the drivers for video device first?

I don't know if Firewire is like USB . . . . . where after you install card & Hub in system. . . . You load driver for device 1st. . . Restart Computer..
Connect device with cable . . . . turn on device . . . .Plug & Play should find device .. . .if proper driver is loaded. . . do you have the video software installed?

Sorry, I don't know what you are trying to do.

How many Firewire connections do you have? I could not find specs on the Kanguru Board . . . .

I think that if you are trying to use a video camera . . . you may need to have an external powered Firewire Connector.

If the Hub part is mounted in front . . . . do you have internal cables connected securely & correctly?

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 25 July 2005 - 10:03 PM.

karen58

karen58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
:tazz: I feel like a ditz...I removed my combo hub from my computer to realize that there was a cable missing from the firewire connectors; the USB cable was plugged in when I got it & no other cable. I have since rec'd the cable for the firewire connectors from Kanguru Solutions & wah laa, I have firewire capabilities. Thanks for your help, Sorry. ;)

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
OK- Sounds like you are in control. . .

Can you post the Model Number/s of the Kanguru USB 2 PCI card & internal hub(3 USB & 2 Firewire). I like to read the specs - I am doing research on USB / Firewire.

Thank You,

Jack123

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I'm glad you solved your problem! We're always here to help!

--Chris

karen58

karen58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
:tazz: The model is 'USB2-COMBOHUB' with PCI card & internal hub. I bought it from Tiger Direct in Jan. but it is no longer available(# I46-1484). I went to Kanguru Solutions & couldn't find anything on it, the combo hub they show now is just USB ports. I love it when I buy something and then it is discontinued, makes me wonder why.... But at least it is working for me now, thanks and good luck on your research.