Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Failed boot

• Please log in to reply

DarkFires

DarkFires

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I bought my laptop about 2 months ago. About 1 month ago it failed to boot and has not been able to boot since then. I have tryed booting the laptop hard drive with my desktop and scaning for malware with multipul programs, but nothing has turned up. When I try to boot with my laptop, if I turn off automatic reboot on system failure I get a blue screen after about 10 minutes of windows trying to load. The blue screen tells me that a dll file may be corrupt. I have tryed replacing 4 dll files it told me was corrupt, but now it doesn't tell me any more files are corrupt and so I couldn't continue replacing the files. I decided to restore the original corrupt files for now. While running the virus scanner HouseCall, the scanner paused for several seconds on many files in the system32 directory. I wrote them all down and it turns out the scanner reacted the same for all the files I tryed to replace. Here is a list of all the files HouseCall took a while on (Some files may be misspelled):
All files in %system32% of laptop hard drive
authz.dll
crypt32.dll
cryptui.dll
divx.dll
ialmdd5.dll
ialmdnt5.dll
mpr.dll
msgina.dll
msvcrt.dll
odbc32.dll
odbcint.dll
olecnv32.dll
rpcrt4.dll
scesrv.dll
services.exe
setupapi.dll
sfc_os.dll
shdocvw.dll
sxs.dll
umpnpmgr.dll
unicode.nls
urlmon.dll
user32.dll
userenv.dll
usp10.dll
win32k.sys
winlogon.exe
winsrv.dll
winsta.dll
wintrust.dll
wow32.dll

Edited by DarkFires, 24 July 2005 - 12:30 AM.

Advertisements

DarkFires

DarkFires

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I tryed replacing all those files listed and my laptop still won't start, anyone have any ideas?

I also don't have a Windows XP CD so I would rather not have to format if there is any way to fix my laptop.

Edited by DarkFires, 24 July 2005 - 12:35 AM.