Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP CD

• Please log in to reply

DarkFires

DarkFires

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a small problem :tazz: I just recently formated one of my computers because it was so full of malware I decided it would be better overall to just backup and format. The only problem is I don't have a Windows XP Home install CD. I have the CD key that I got with the computer, but because it came preloaded I don't have a CD to install windows. It would help me greatly if anyone has any ideas how I can get a Windows XP Home CD I can install with my CD key or any other way I can fix this.

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
they should have supplied you with recovery CD's to install Windows from, or nothing at all?

DarkFires

DarkFires

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I got no CDs with the computer. All I got was the tower, keyboard, and mouse. When I got my computer Microsoft wasn't allowing recovery CDs or a Windows XP CD be given to the customer. That's changed now, but when I bought my computer the store could not legally give me the CDs.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the store that told you that was lying....it might have been a store policy, or a OEM policy, but Microsoft has never made that policy.

Here are you options

1) first, you may have a hidden recovery partition on your drive...what kind of system is it. Often, tapping the f10 or f12 key at boot up will start the system recovery process

2) copy a cd of the version you have from someone. You have a legitimate license and a legitimate key. When you buy Windows, you buy a license. Microsoft does not copy-protect windows cds--they are a delivery medium.

But, you bought a license for a SPECIFIC version of windows....Retail, Upgrade, OEM....and a specific version of that, RTM, SP1, or SP2.

You must use that version and that iteration for your CD-key to work and for your license to be valid.

woody1977

woody1977

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Is it a packarbell????

If it is goto allprograms>packardbell support>smart restore.

Or goto the packarbell website_online tutorials.

cheers woody

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

... I just recently formated one of my computers....

View Post

it is kind of tough to run a windows program after a format

DarkFires

DarkFires

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

it is kind of tough to run a windows program after a format

Yes I can't run a program on my computer because it has already been formated. I have tryed the restore pressing F10 and F12 and nothing turned up. My computer is an HP Pavilion 762c. I thought you could get a copy of a CD and install your key with it, but I didn't know there was the RTM, SP1, and SP2 that I would have to match allong with the OEM. I think its RTM. One of my friends said they have an OEM XP Home install CD I could use, I'll give that a try. Thanks for your help.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

HP just lost a class action suit concerning that very thing (not giving restore cd's)..

Contact them and they will supply one free of charge !!

Murray

DarkFires

DarkFires

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Oh, thats good to know :tazz: I'll do that now.

DarkFires

DarkFires

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have ordered the CDs from HP and they will arrive in 3 to 5 business days. Thank you for your help :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You are very welcome !! :tazz:

Murray

marillana

marillana

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello,

Do you still have this computer and are interested in selling it (even if it is no longer working)? I'm looking for this model in particular.
Please let me know to: mari_xx AT hotmail DOT com

Thanks!

Edited to remove in the clear E-mail address. E-mail should be removed as soon as you get a response. - Z

Also, this was 7 years ago so the likelihood of still having the XP computer is pretty small. Not 0 but close :)