Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Problems?

• Please log in to reply

Daisypearl

Daisypearl

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I know so little about this I may not even be in the right section :tazz: I have a brand new giant computer that is working marvelously. I have an old Pentium II 350 which is about to drive me crazy.

When I got the new computer I had planned to move my big files [genealogy and lots of pix] over and continue to use the old computer for tasks that do not require online access. I do not know if this is related or not but I have had problems with the old CD/R/W when I tried to copy to put the info on the new one. Will not go into detail at this point as I have a much BIGGER problem.

We have had the new one for about a month and I only sporadically turned on the old one. They are co-located on a big desk about with the monitors about 3' apart; the CPUs are under the desk--same distance. The new computer is plugged into the APC back up UPS; the old one to a surge protector. They are not plugged into the same receptacle but it is the same line, I guess. I am going into all this electrical stuff as my husband thinks it may be relevant.

All was well for about 10 days; one afternoon, both computers on--the old one started to beep continuously. I was not sure what it was so immediately shut it down. I had used it earlier in the day and it was running fine--nothing else seemed to happen when the beeping started. It shut down normally, poor thing--it takes forever as it is just maxed out with files.

The next morning I booted it up and the beeping started again. I let it run through the setup and shut it down. Have not done anything else since then since I am terrified something will happen and all those data will be fried or something.

I posted the query elsewhere and someone said it was a BIOS message--I checked the beeping codes for AMI [my bios is an older one] and there was not a continuous beeping code.

I noted on this forum that it may be a fan problem so will check that. I just want to be absolutely sure that I have some time to work with it when I AM working with it. I simply have to get those data off there and on to the new one. Please--NO one ask me if I backed up my stuff regularly. ;)

I am just terrified that I will lose years of work plus our financial stuff [that is backed up]

Any suggestions are really appreciated. Will even wait on the fan until I hear. My husband replaced it a couple of years ago and it is working fine. He is very knowledgeable about hardware but neither of us is a techie.

thanks so much

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can remove the HD from the old one and put it in the new one easily. Then put the files onto the new pcs HD and replace the HD into the old computer.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.computerh...com/beep.htm#02 this site has a list of POST beep codes.... one of these may fit your particular beep (Though most of these beeps would probably not persist once windows loads)