Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

formatting

• Please log in to reply

Peepo28

Peepo28

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
This is just a general question. How long does it take to format a partition? I tried to format NTFS (regular, not quick) and I left it on all night. When i woke up, it was still on 6%! ha! So i shut it down. Then I read somewhere that certain partitions are too big to format, so you have to break them down or something. Is all that really necessary?

Advertisements

urichjones

urichjones

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
How big is your partition? I know when I tried to run win XP off of my brand new 160 Gb a year ago it wouldn't run, until I broke it up into two 80 Gb partitions. That was a year ago though. About 3 months ago I reinstalled windows onto a 120 Gb with only one partition and everything worked fine.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Depends on harddrive....for a 250gb drive, no more than 30 minutes....usually.

Given your situation, you may have a failing drive, but before making that determination, delete the partition, recreate it, then format and see if the problem changes.

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
as a matter of fact, i think its unpartitioned. I had a partition that was 7MB and then unpartition that was huge. I deleted the partition, so now i just have this ONE HUGE unpartitioned thing... am i making sense? i'm new to all of this.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes...I think...

so, when you run setup (I assume windows xp) you are given an option to create and format a partition....do that. (or is that what you did?)

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
well, i dont really wanna talk about windows xp lol but, yes, that is what i did. and i got 4 choices

Format NTFS (quick)
Format FAT (quick)
Format NTFS (regular)
Format FAT (regular)

I chose Format NTFS (regular) and it stopped at 6% and stayed there all night.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy peepo28:

Still trying to use that pirated version of XP (the copied one or your brothers) ??

http://www.geekstogo...TEM-t45375.html

Murray

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
hey murray,
no, someone on here led me to the right place to order a brand new one. but i'm not gonna ask XP questions until it comes.

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
AND my brother's one is an original. but i'm going to get my own original.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Good for you.. :tazz: That alone will clear up a pile of problems you were/are having!!

Murray