Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Shutting down the PC: Fact or Fiction

• Please log in to reply

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Is it true that shutting down a PC is bad for it? And that I should leave it on?

I usually only shutdown when I go to bed, or when I leave for more than an hour. So on average once or twice a day.

Should I just be leaving it on?

Advertisements

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
I guess this one's a matter of opinion. :tazz:

Personally, I have been around computers since I was 7. I own a computer store and have several of my own machines. I have never seen a machine with problems that were from the computer being turned off daily.

I recommend people that have an "always on" internet connection to shut down their machines when not in use.

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
if yoru worried about hacking and such, just pull out the eathernet cord when your not useing it. but i personaly always leave my computer on when it is working

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
my brother used to have this truck that on a cold day wouldn't start. any time we drove it anywhere i would have to stay in the truck and rev the engine so that we wouldn't have to turn it off because if we did it wouldn't start......now in my exploits in the computer world i decided that the problem with that old truck had to be that it was running windows....so i tend to take the same view that as long as its running now i want to make sure that it stays that way and after all...if you never turn it off you can't have problems booting.

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Ah, this is interesting, you see I have the exact oposite opinion. My room with my computer in it gets very hot during the day, (and in turn so does my computer). I always shut mine off when I'm not using it. This is mainly because one, its a waste of electricity, two, my room gets hot so my computer tends to overheat, and three, the computer itself generates more heat which increases to the room temperature, and it goes round and round in a downward spiral.

Just thought I'd put in my two cents.

--Chris

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
cheathawk1 has some good advice for his situation, when its hot I too turn off my systems to save on air conditioning costs. I have never seen any harm done to computers by turning them on and off once a day.

I have 4 systems, 2 of them run 24/7 doing cancer research as shown in my signature, I don't think I rebooted either in about a month and because of the research the cpu useage is always 100%.

The other 2 also do the research but I turn them on and off, so you see I don,t think it saves the computer any by turning it off or leaving it run. I don't think it matters.

Rick