Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows firewall

• Please log in to reply

manxmen

manxmen

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am new here and i am having a problem with my windows firewall.

When i go to turn on my windows firewall in my control panel it tries to turn on but then then it says that "windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the firewall/internet connection sharing (ICS) service. Yes/No". I select "yes". Then i get a messege that says "windows cannot start the windows firewall/ICS service" Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? And so i don't have a firewall turned on on my system.

Edited by manxmen, 19 July 2005 - 01:14 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Windows Firewall services are in the Services panel.

Open Control panel.
Double click on Administrative tools
Double click on Services

In the Services window, click on standard so it's easier to browse the listing.

Scroll down the list until you see Windows Firewall/Internet connection sharing

Double click on it and in the window that opens, select whatever options you wish to use. If you want the service to always start, then choose Automatic.

This service must be Started before you can enable/disable the Firewall through Control panel.

makai

manxmen

manxmen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i tried your suggestion makai, and thank you but when i did it i recieved this response, "could not start the windows firewall/ICS service on local computer. Error 10047: an address incompatible with the requested protocol was used

motherboard- asus p4p800
pentium 4 hyper threading
rex graphics (radeon v1.1r)
512 ram
home pc

Edited by manxmen, 19 July 2005 - 07:08 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
service pack 1 or 2

manxmen

manxmen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i want to thank you guys. I tried what you sugested and then i got an error 10047 so i googled it and found out that i had to start a comand prompt and type: netsh winsock reset and then I had to reboot and my problem does not exist any more. I will let all of my computer friends know about your site and i give you 2 thumbs up. and the answer to your question above is sp2

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
uhhhhh... glad we could help! :tazz:

makai

Guest_crapwheresmycrowbar_*

Guest_crapwheresmycrowbar_*
Though this may sound a bit blunt - I wouldn't turn on the Windows Firewall anyway. There's alot of better firewalls out there. I recommend Sygate Personal Firewall or the ZoneAlarm Firewall.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

I am new here and i am having a problem with my windows firewall.

When i go to turn on my windows firewall in my control panel it tries to turn on but then then it says that "windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the firewall/internet connection sharing (ICS)  service. Yes/No".  I select "yes". Then i get a messege that says "windows cannot start the windows firewall/ICS service" Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? And so i don't have a firewall turned on on my system.

View Post

Do you have windows Home addition or Pro edition of XP?