Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows won't boot up!

• Please log in to reply

amylenise

amylenise

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Help! :tazz: Windows won't boot up! This is the message I get:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30

When I pop my cd into the cd-rom drive, and let my computer boot from cd-rom, when I press "R," I don't get the prompt that let's me select which partion or OS install you want to work with, usually "1" or whatever is listed for C:\Windows. So what must I do? Just reinstall Windows and lose all my files??! Any advice is appreciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hold y our horses.....did y ou try last known good config yet? that often fixes it

matt_fleming

matt_fleming

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Boot into safemode, shutdown, and then turn it back on again. See if that helps anything..

-Matt

amylenise

amylenise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thanks for responding so promptly!

safe mode brings up gibberish and then goes to the same screen
last known config does the same thing without the gibberish!

(wail!)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how attatched to those files are you?

amylenise

amylenise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
:tazz: such an ominous reply!

extremely. i am the media person here and i have websites and everything, everything, everything...(sigh)

i am attached.

Edited by amylenise, 19 July 2005 - 03:30 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok well....what speed is your internet connection?

amylenise

amylenise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Cable modem...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok go to http://dsenette.geekstogo.com/tools/ and click on ubcd4win24.iso download it and burn it to a cd... you will need to burn it as a bootable iso...what cd burning tools do you have?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what this is is a bootable version of xp....it will basically take you around the back end of your current windows install..... so basically what you will want to do is after burning the cd > put it in the drive and restart the pc > boot from the cd > once into the ubcd system you can explore your file system and find all of your nifty files.... you can take a few different steps from here.... you can either use the cd's utilities to burn these files onto cds, or you can attempt to use the system to email them to yourself...or if you have a second harddrive available you can move the files over to this drive.....this whole process will take a while...but should be do-able

Edited by dsenette, 16 August 2005 - 01:07 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'll check back in tomorrow...

amylenise

amylenise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I am (gratefully) away from this melee and out of the office today, so I will report back into the fray tomorrow.

The CD burning program I have is Roxio based, i think. When I had to upgrade to XP from Me, that's what I think i upgraded with. Honestly, i think it's another company whose name escapes me.

It does strike me as mighty odd that many of the people who are reporting that their Windows is crashing are HP Pavilion users like me! :tazz: Something is afoot at HP!

Thanks again for all of your help and have a great day!

Edited by amylenise, 20 July 2005 - 09:46 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok did you download that file? and i need specifics on your burning software. so i can make sure to give you the right instructins for burning the iso

amylenise

amylenise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
no because i am out of the office away from the computer. but i will report back tomorrow after i download....

thanks again!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....do you have a cd burner on the machine you are using right now? is what i meant