Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Several Suspicious Start-up Registry Values [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ezflow

ezflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi tampabelle,

Thanks a lot for your help! It was greatly appreciated. I just want to say what an awesome site this is, giving free help to people like me. You gave it kindly and generously, and I wouldn't know where I'd go or what I'd do with my computer problems without you guys. :tazz:

A few additional thoughts and questions if you don't mind:

What do I do with Ad-Watch and SpywareGuard now? Do I turn them back on or uninstall them both?

My computer seems to be fine, without any problems, right now that is, but for the future, what would you suggest is a good prevention method to prevent this type of spyware/malware/virus/trojan kind of problem from occuring again? Is my computer well protected with the programs as it is or would you suggest I uninstall or install or buy programs/software to make it better? Do I keep running weekly scans for the rest of my computer life?

Thanks again. ;)

Advertisements

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi ezflow,

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!! Your PC is clean now :tazz:

Please turn the Spyware guard and Ad watch back on.

Open Ad Aware (not adwatch). In the top right hand side there a some icons. Click on Settings (icon looks like a cog wheel). Click on Ad Watch. Under Memory and Registry, there are four items. Make sure all four are checked. Click on Proceed.

Open Spyware Guard. Click on Options. Check all the three boxes and then click on Save Settings. Now click on File and Exit.

These are good programs to have. Only they were interfering with our fix, not knowing that we were trying to fix the bad guys !!!!

There is no guarantee that your PC will remain infection free as malware creators come up with new tricks to infect PCs. Howere I do have a few prevention measures which are likely to minimise the risk of your PC getting infected. Most of the programs that I suggest here are freeware. As for the frequency of the scans, do it on a schedule with which you are comfortable.

I would recommend the following steps to keep your PC clean (especially Step 8 now that your PC is clean) –

PREVENTIVE MEASURES FOR FUTURE

Operating System
1. Keep the Windows and Internet Explorer updated with the latest fixes. These fixes are available free from Microsoft. Click on Tools in the IE menu bar and then on Windows update. You can also use the following links

Windows security and critical updates
Internet Explorer security and critical updates

Also ensure that automatic updates are enabled for faster updation of the system.
(Right click on My Computer on your desktop, properties and Automatic Updates tab.

Anti-Virus Software
2. Keep your Anti-virus program updated with the latest definitions. Some of the common anti-virus programs in use are :

Norton Anti-Virus
McAfee Anti-Virus
AVG Anti-Virus --- freeware
Avast Home Edition --- freeware

Use only one anti-virus program as multiple such programs can create conflicts between themselves and severely hamper the performance of your PC.

Firewall
3. You should also have a good firewall. Here are 3 free ones available for personal use:
Sygate Personal Firewall, Kerio Personal Firewall, ZoneAlarm

Internet Browsers
4. Have robust explorer settings. It is preferable to use an internet browser other that IE as most of the malware is targetted at IE. In case you prefer to use IE, then download a list of innocent looking but harmful websites from IE-Spyad and install it on ur PC. IE-SPYAD puts over 5000 sites in your internet explorer's restricted zone, so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't really innocent at all.

Some alternate browsers I suggest are Firefox Mozilla Browser and Opera

Ensure that Security level, irrespective of whichever browser you use, is set at Medium or higher, restrict the usage of cookies and activeX components.

Spyware Protection
5. Have a wall of protection against spyware / adware by installing SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard.

SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard are by JavaCool and both are free programs.
SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed and consumes no system resources.
SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation and browser hijack attempts. Both have free ongoing updates.

Spyware Removers
6. Install programs for scanning for malware and uninstalling them. Two of the best programs, both are freeware, are :

Spybot Search & Destroy - A powerful tool which can search and annhilate nasties that make it onto your system. Now with an Immunize section that will help prevent future infections.

AdAware SE Personal Edition - Another very powerful tool which searches and kills nasties that infect your system. AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy compliment each other very well.

Regular Maintenance of PC
7. Finally, invest some time for regular maintenance of your PC. Delete the temporary Internet files, temporary files, cookies etc. Click on Start button, Programs, Accessories, System Tools and run the program Disk Cleanup. Follow the instructions.

An alternate freeware software which can be used is CleanUp.

Keep your Registry clean. My favourite software is Registry First Aid. This is not a freeware but a trial version can be downloaded.

System Restore Points
8. Since your PC is currently clean, create a system restore point. A system restore would enable you to revert to the settings on the PC when the restore point was created. It is also a good idea to flush all earlier system restore points which may be containing infected files.

A. Turn off System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

B. Restart your computer.

C. Turn ON System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

System Restore will now be active again.

Go ahead and enjoy a clean PC !!!!!!!!!!!!!

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.