Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Wont Boot After Ewido Security Suite!

• Please log in to reply

we87

we87

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello to all, and I'm sorry that this is my first post like this but I have read and searched these forums and I cant find my answer.

I had a virus which I guess is called "Anti Virus Gold" and I found instructions on this website on how to delete it. After doing so, I can not get to a desktop anymore...

What I did was run Ewido Security Suite and it said ALOT of files were bad and they were all in my root directory (c:\windows) so I'll be honest, I didnt know what they were and I was so eager to get this over with that I just said yes to most of them and went along my way. It fixed the Anti Virus Gold part because I can now select a background in Safe Mode, but now I cant get to a desktop.

Does anybody know how can I recover my machine?

I guess what I need is something to rebuild my C:\Windows\System32 folder or something like that... What this all sounds like to me is that I lost some of my critical windows files.

Please, any help would be greatly apreciated... I'm not even on my machine right now, this is a friends pc...

Also, these were the instructions that I used: http://www.geekstogo...nup-t42440.html

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
not knowing what you removed makes it tough to recover from it....

do you have a windows xp disk?

we87

we87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes I do, and I have tried using the "Recovery Console" but I really dont know what I am doing in there. I just set check disk to run and it found some errors, so I set it to repair.

The Ewido software does keep a log of what it does, doesnt it? Maybe I can get that log and recover my files... Does it quarentine the files it removes or does it actually delete them.

Also, isnt there something I can use to just run and let it rebuild my boot sector?

Thanks again for the replies.