Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Operating Activation

• Please log in to reply

DeweyLima

DeweyLima

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello all,

I have 5 computers at home on a small network all running WindowsXP. My oldest computer's (Compaq, 1.2Ghz, 512 MB RAM, DVD, CD-RW) hard drive just died.

I know I should have had it backed up (and I will from now on) but I didn't.

My problem is I do not have the original WindowsXP dics for this machine. Someone else posted about not getting them with their compaq computer. I honestly don't even remember if I did or not. What I do know, is I cannot find them (not very organized).

I have them for all the other machines. I have read a couple of the posts here regarding piracy, etc. and I agree.

However, I have all valid copies of Windows and "had" a valid copy on this machine until the hard drive died. If I have to buy a new copy of Windows (as well as a new hard drive), I might as well just buy a new machine. That would be a shame because it is still a good computer otherwise.

Is there a way to use one of the other WindowsXP Operating Systems I have and contact Microsoft and have them look up my original activation on the Compaq system or something similar?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dewey

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
On your compaq machine, they should have attached a COA sticker, which has your cd-key on it.

You can use any windows cd of the same type to reinstall windows as long as you use that key.

When you buy windows xp, you buy a license...the cd-rom is just a delivery medium.

With compaq, you purchased what is known as an OEM license....an oem license transfers with the machine. It is perfectly legal to install windows on this machine using another CD as long as you stick to one cd-key to one machine (one to one relationship)

But, you must use the same version of windows and the same service pack (RTM, SP1, or Sp2) for the key on the machine to work.

DeweyLima

DeweyLima

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, I will look for it. I am also not sure what version I had but I will give it a shot.

Dewey

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it will say on the sticker

the problem is making sure the other cd matches, since the cd may not specify....

if you do an install, and during install it says the key is wrong, you are probably using an sp2 cd and rtm key....

I think that it the same keys work for both rtm and sp2, other than some well known pirated keys.

DeweyLima

DeweyLima

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks again for the quick response.

I will be purchasing a new hard drive and will give it a try.

Dewey

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
For these kind of special circumstances, it is not a bad idea to print out a Belarc periodically. One of the things listed is the product key, which it obtains from your computer. It is also useful in remembering what software you want to (re) install, or what the danged name of it is, exactly, anyway. :tazz: Not that I have ever crashed and trashed a computer...lol ;)

Johanna

Edited by Czarina, 19 July 2005 - 04:00 PM.

DeweyLima

DeweyLima

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks I will look into that program.

Dewey