Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SP2 problems - Safe Mode only

• Please log in to reply

quaker

quaker

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz:
Hi Friends,

I have installed SP2 on my computer and now it will only work in safe mode. I would like to get all my files off the hard drive, and I bought a 250GB external drive, but I can't get the ED to work as no driver seems to be present. Is there any way I can get my files off my drive?

I've tried every method to uninstall the SP2, but nothing worked, this is the reason for wanting to backup all my work.

If anyone could give me any ideas of how to do this I would be very grateful. I intend reinstalling XP after transferring the files.

PLEASE HELP

GARETH (WALES UK)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
can't get the ED to work....what is the ED?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i think he means HD.....but e is pretty far from h....

edit ...nope External Drive

Edited by dsenette, 19 July 2005 - 02:56 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have a working cd burner on the machine?

quaker

quaker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: Sorry that some of you didn't understand ED? I thought that as I had written it straight after external drive it would be obviously external drive, but I must remember not to take anything for granted.

For the person who understood - I don't have a working CD writer unfortunately.

Is there any method at all that I can use to transfer the files from my HD (hard disc) to my ED (external drive) that anyone knows of please.

Alternatively does anyone know of any utility for removing SP2 (service pack 2) from my machine? Uninstall does not work, and I have tried the suggestions from Microsoft. I have also tried a couple of uninstaller programs, but none will work.

As the computer only works in SM (safe mode) everything takes ages to do simple things like logging on.

The transfer of the files would be the best option if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks,

Gareth

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i have seen in certain bios versions a selection that allows for usb boot....if enabled it may allow your system to at least recognize the drive.