Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking and file sharing

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Right ok i need a wee bit of help ;) . I have a new belking wireless g adsl router connected to one pc and a wireless card also belkin in my new pc. I have a usb thing i got with it but im not so bothered whith that.

I want to transfer files acroos wirelesly, easier than the cross connecting of HDS i do now its a real pain. But the wizard thing in xp is useless and i am stuck tried everything i can think off ;) . So i though i would ask some networking buffs for help.

I hate networking. :tazz:

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
this step by step how to may help,

peer to peer workgroup setup
Peer to Peer Workgroup Setup. How to Setup A Windows Peer to Peer Network Do I
need to create the same workgroup name for my network ...
http://www.chicagote...kgroupsetup.htm

Edited by chicagotech, 19 July 2005 - 08:58 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you want an easy way to transfer files that doesn't require a real network configuration, only a glutton for punishment enjoys setting up a network, go to my post in Software and download the FTP Shell client to one computer and the server to another and set them up. Port forward the server through the firewall, find the IP of the server computer, configure the server, very easy, just use Simple FTP for no password or security, and access it with the other computer. You can even use the Windows browser FTP as the client.

TDarp

TDarp

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am also trying to do this. Have XP machine wired into wireless router. And I want to be able to access files on the PC from my wireless laptop. I am not understanding the networking in that link.

Will the FTP open my PC for people outside my router? I dont want to get hacked