Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

GeForce 6600 problems

• Please log in to reply

Cluey

Cluey

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, I recently bought a 6600 to replace my aging FX 5200.

I replaced the card like it said in the manual and turned on the PC.

The monitor was not picking up.

I tried to restart the PC, having remembered this problem from when I first installed the FX 5200. It worked, and so I continued to install the drivers. It told me they were old, but I ignored it, as the lastest Nvidia drivers wont play HL2.

So after the computer restarts, it comes up with the installer again, I was sure that this was like a continuation of the previous install, as opposed to a fresh install, which is what it was. So the drivers installed twice. I thought nothing of it, again, happened before, no problems encountered.

Yet now, when I turn on my PC, and it gets to the WELCOME screen before the monitor turns itself off and the computer restarts. It takes about 3 minutes of restarts for it to work.

Now when it was working
It was working well. I played HL2 with no problems whatsoever on high. All the DX9 trimmings running perfect.

But its just that I really cant think whats wrong with it that makes it work sometimes, but not others. Theres no set amount of restarts it goes through. It's a random, and therefore most likely human error.

I've tried different drivers, but nothing seems to solve it.

Gah!

Pentium 4 2.4ghz
512mb RAM
GeForce 6600 graphics card
Windows XP SP2

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

Cluey

Cluey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, cheekily I thought I'd try something simpler.

I tried the good ol system restore.

When it restarted it seems to have worked.
Though I got a recovery message upon start up and my res was something obscure (600x400??) but a quick change of the settings and I was go. I'll try the above method if I get anymore problems.

EDIT-Nope, I tried a game and it just came up with a nasty error on my monitor saying:

"Error"
And then some H hz and V hz values.

Edited by Cluey, 19 July 2005 - 05:51 PM.

Cluey

Cluey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm pretty sure I found out the problem.

My old Power box was only 250w, the card needed 300 mininum. I replaced the box and it works now.

It still hangs sometimes, but its rare. So Im happy enough.