Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Partitions missing space

• Please log in to reply

vfs

vfs

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Here at where I work, we take our hard disks and partition them into 7 different logical drives.

2 of these drives have a total of 1.95 GB alotted to them, however when you go to properties, used up is a total of 1.51 GB when there is not a single file in the drive. It is also showing hidden filed and folders as well.

Now, one thing I also thought interesting was that another drive that also has 1.95 GB alotted to it has the EXACT same amount used as the other one, 1.51 GB.

In fact, every drive is missing 1.5 to 1.51 GB of space, whether or not there are files on the drive.

Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: I have run chkdsk multiple times and defragged the smaller ones- it didn't do any good.

Edited by vfs, 19 July 2005 - 07:50 PM.

Advertisements

vfs

vfs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Anyone?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
hmmm, need a bit more info from you...

Firstly, you said that explorer is set to show hidden/system files. Some OS's however also have a setting (just underneath normally) for hiding 'protected operating system files'. If this setting exists on your system, is it set to show or hide these files?
If they are being hidden, its possible that this space is being used by either the recycle bin or the system restore facility.

Can you also tell me which OS you are using & the file system that these partitions are formatted in (ie FAT16, FAT32 or NTFS)