Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Winsock catalog needs to be reset, Windows ME

• Please log in to reply

tmanchenko

tmanchenko

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I'm trying to troubleshoot my sister's computer so that she can get on the internet. She suffered a severe virus attack, and after the computer was repaired, her computer, we thought wasn't able to get online.

After calling Comcast, we found out that the computer is online, but is unable to access domain names because the winsock catalog needs to be reset and that we need to be walked through the process.

I called HP, the computer manufacturer, but they want 40 bucks for troubleshooting the computer, which I thought was a bit much.

So, I'm begging and pleading to see if someone can help us.

Can anyone walk me through the process to reset the Winsock catalog for Windows ME?

Thank you,

Tamara

Advertisements

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
You cant RESET winsock per say in ME. There is some registry editing to doing it. There are programs you can download that will do this for you. Do a search for winsock fix.

Bazzrr

Bazzrr

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
LSPFix is a program i have used before
available at - http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

But here on this site - http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html
(see the link at the top of the page labled - Do you suspect a malware...)
is a link to a WinSockFix utility from this site
and other information which may help you

good luck!