Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Fan reccomendations

• Please log in to reply

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I have an Antec full tower case that supports 5 80mm fans, it came with two, but they are pretty noisy. Anyway, can you guys point me in the direction of some good case fans to improve circulation and keep everything cool?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

You could use a Fan controller like this one to help wih the noise of the fans.

What I have been doing in most of my builds is to install a controller and 4 case fans and with a room temp of around 70f to 75f I can keep all the fans on low and still stay cool with a lot less noise. This seems to work even when I stay with a stock hsf. So as long as your not using them tornado fans or something similar that produce way to much noise to begin with it should really help

Rick

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
The noise isn't too much of a problem, the fan I use to cool my room is alot louder so I never hear them anyway... [bleep] Texas summers are killing me.

Right now all that matters is keeping my system as cool as possible to get the best performance.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I see, in my experiance all case fans are pretty much the same with the exception of size, a 120 mm will move alot more air at lower rpm than a 80mm will if your case will accept a 120mm.

Look and compare the cfm of any case fan you are interested in the higher the more air it will move.

Rick

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
120mm in general are quite a bit louder then 80mm fans. heh i would rather have a couple 80's before i put a 120 in :-|

Edited by RogueComGeek, 19 July 2005 - 08:36 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

120mm in general are quite a bit louder then 80mm fans.

I disagree, in general yes but you can spin a 120mm at a lot less rpm than a 80mm and still move the same or more air.

Rpm of the fan is what creates noise so the idea here is to spin the fan slower with less noise and still move the same amount of air.

A 92mm is avalible too but I forgot to mention them earler.

Rick

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Try the Cooler Master NEON LED FAN... 80x80x25mm. I have 3 of them and they're actually quite good. Noise wise, they aren't the most silent (25db(A)), but they do a great job moving air. The model I use is the TLF-R82 which run $12.99 from PC Club in SoCal. Newegg carries a ton of CoolerMaster fans (different model) ranging from $3.99 to $8.99.

Hmmm... I think I'll check out Doby's fan controller myself! :tazz:

Oh yah... the LED lighting is AWESOME!!!

makai

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
80mm better than 120 what are you smokin mate, got two 120s and my old pc with two 80s is much much louder. The most noise from pc is from the cpu fan and gfx cooler.
The antec fans are good got two with my case and they are great the noise absorbing pull throughs are good.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i personally have a scantily clad woman sitting next to my PC at all times waving a palm frond

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
These fan have all the controll in one I'm looking in getting 5 of them to replace the ones in my case now.
See them here
:tazz:

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

i personally have a scantily clad woman sitting next to my PC at all times waving a palm frond

View Post

Any idea where I can get one? :tazz:

I'll check out those Coolermaster and Thermaltake fans, LED isn't too much of a deal for me since my case doesn't have a window. But it can't hurt.

Suprisingly, the two Antec fans my case came with are extremely noisy. Now that I think of it, I have had alot of problems with Antec. The PSU bracket was bent on my case, their fans are noisy, and the front cd hatch latch snapped pretty quickly for no reason. Maybe it's just my case, normally I hear Antec doesn't make shoddy products.

Thanks though.

Edited by Metalive, 20 July 2005 - 02:50 PM.