Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot BOOT from CD-ROM? EAsy...no..

• Please log in to reply

Cajetan

Cajetan

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Booting from CD-ROM simple right?
Changed the boot sequence in BIOS to boot from CD-ROM (1st device) but it always go through to windows. WHY??????
Have tried using the floppy and that works so i know the bios can be changed but why not boot from CD-ROM? The drive can be seen and accessed in win XP. Any ideas out there?

Foxconn Winfast NF4UK8AA-8EKRS nForce4 ultra
AMD K8 Athlon64 3500+ Socket 939 Venice Core
1XSeagate 160Gb 7200rpm 8 mb Cache NCQ Serial ATA-partiitioned with Partition Magic.
Gigabyte GA-NX66T128VP GeForce 6600GT VIVO TurboForce PCI Expres
Foxconn ATX326 Midi Tower 11-1 Card Reader Hyena 500W front USB2.0 case fan PCI-E hole
LiteOn SOHW-1673S Dual Layer 16x
TwinMOS 1GB DDR400 Dual-Channel Kit (2x512MB)

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

So what are you trying to boot from the cd-rom with - XP cd; Win98SE cd, what??

Is the install cd an original or a copy you or someone made for you (different setup procedure) ??

Murray

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
what i do to boot from CD is change all the boot devices to CD-rom, lol, it gets the job done

Cajetan

Cajetan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Problem solved, IDE was not enabled in BIOS settings so although I changed the 1st (& 2nd & 3rd)boot device to CD-ROM, it wasn't working because BIOS didn't know there was a CDROM. Interesting that win XP could c it so I assume it was set up already. Thks anyway. :tazz:

theguy1224

theguy1224

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey guys, im having the same problem

i bought a boot disk since i lost my original and im trying to make it boot to cd-rom but cd-rom is not an option on my bios screen..

btw, i have a sony vaio laptop, model# PGC-GRZ610

when i go to the boot menu, all i see is optical drive (#1), floppy disk drive (#2), hard drive (#3) and network (#4)..cd-rom is not available..how do i fix this?

any help would be great..

thanks