Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Aaarg! Wiped my drivers!

• Please log in to reply

CordwearingMonkeyBoy

CordwearingMonkeyBoy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
:tazz: Hi. I wiped my hard-drive to reformat from Japanese OS to English. In doing so -( Being a muppet) -I lost some drivers/devices.?
I then discovered (doh) they don't include recovery disks anymore...

I have managed to recover some by downloading my Chipset from Intel.
But I still have ? marks against : Ethernet Controller, Mass Storage Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller & PCI Modem.
I have rather obscure new Toshiba VX Japanese model and I'm new to a lot of this.
Help from Tosh in Japan is difficult, to say the least.
Do I need these to get on the Internet ? Or can I search and download the missing bits from there??
Any help appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
is there a model number or something besides just vx?

CordwearingMonkeyBoy

CordwearingMonkeyBoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi. Yep. It's a Dynabook VX570LS. (only available in Japan , I think).

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
In this case the simplest way would be to look on the individual devices for the full part numbers and go to the various mfrs. websites to get the the drivers, or Google the part number +download +driver. If you can deciper the mobo part no. you may be able to downlod the drivers from there.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You could also look around Here for drivers but you are going to need part #

Rick

CordwearingMonkeyBoy

CordwearingMonkeyBoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the advice. Got my ethernet controller back so I'm back on the net. Will try what you suggested. Won't be repeating this error if I can help it...

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Additionally, you may get some relief by downloading and installing Everest free version. It should help you ID devices without having to open your case and it will link to device & driver pages of most manufacturers.

:tazz:

CordwearingMonkeyBoy

CordwearingMonkeyBoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
:tazz: To everyone who helped: thanks
For any owners of Toshiba VX 5 series who have English OS - and who make make the same dumb mistake as me (ie wiping drivers) - don't despair!

Try - Toshiba PC Direct - they directed me to drivers below which worked straight away from Toshiba's US website:
Also a company called Tokyo IT Services offer help with people who have messed up converting their Japanese Dynabooks/other laptops to Eigo (for ease...)

The Audio driver is " SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Driver for Windows XP/2000 ", its URL is as below.
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/

The modem driver is " TOSHIBA Software Modem " , its URL is as below.
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/

Good luck