Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows installation problem

• Please log in to reply

Atrum

Atrum

• Pip
  • 2 posts
During a hurricane, the power surged and windows went on and off , then when I got back in, everything was moving super slow and I eventually gave up trying to do anything. So I put in my windows xp home edition cd and tried to reinstall. Everything goes fine until after it copies the files. Then it reboots and I get to this screen:

"Press any key to boot from cd..... error loading operating system"

o_o I have no idea how I can remedy this. :tazz: ;)

Advertisements

Atrum

Atrum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
err.... bump?

sixpack6t9

sixpack6t9

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello Atrum,
Do you have the 6 disk set of setup floppies that are made from "makeboot.exe"? I've had to boot from floppy many times, when my boot record was corrupted, setup files and the drivers and temp OS are on the floppies, so that fixes the lost OS issue and throws you into setup, so you need the cd too. but it will then, run setup using the cd.

Oh yeah, did I mention that you can run makeboot.exe to make the disks from the command prompt?

Edited by sixpack6t9, 20 July 2005 - 06:11 AM.

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Try repairing XP.

Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by pressing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.