Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

please help me get my computer back! [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

advictim

advictim

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Dear forums staff,

I was minding my own business, looking for an image on Google when one of the sites exploded with a barrage of software which began downloading on my computer. One of the programs that started downloading was WinFixer2005.

I stopped the download and was able to remove the installation file from the Downloaded Program Files folder. Problem was that even before I was able to remove it, I had pop-ups that were feeding off the sites I was looking through and once the computer was left un-attended, a pop-up ad appeared every 5 minutes or so. That was resolved with yet another scan of Ad-Aware which I ran about 30 times by now. When my computer crashed ([bleep] WMP) and had to be re-started, the pop-ups began right away to be banished by another Ad-Aware scan.

I still get the occasional pop-up when I go to a site I need and the fact that I had to stop an application named eetu.exe from trying to connect to an outside entity with my firewall. And I can't seem to find that file no matter how hard I look.

After trying to get rid of this all day, I'm ready to snap. :tazz:

Dear techs, is there any way I could get rid of these orphans in my system without having to install new software? I am so not keen on installing anything I am not intimately familiar with... Can I just do a system restore to solve this issue?

My security overall is not that bad. I have:
- eTrust EZ AntiVirus
- McAffee Personal Firewall Plus (by which I traced the makers of WinFix)
- Ad-Aware SE Personal

I thank any tech for answering this question and helping me out.

Your truly, Ad Victim.

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz: I'm kool808 and I will be helping you today.

We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool [ HiJackThis ], read the short tutorial [ HERE ]

Then post the results of the scan here.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! I will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

In the event you cannot download it then you have to use another computer then transfer it to your PC.  If you are not able to run it through desktop or C:\HJT\ then you have to use the Task Manager, available through CTRL+ALT+DELETE then choose New Task.

advictim

advictim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Its ok, I've been doing a ton of stuff myself in terms of research and indentifying the malware. I'm just going to re-build my machine and leave it at that because the malware I have spreads like a cancer and it would be way too much work to fix everything.

Just trust me on this one. ;) My machine really needs to be re-built.

But I do appreciate your desire to help me.

This malware comes from WinFixer2005, but it opens an adware site called 0dp.com which usues a virus to download more adware and you begin to see the following problems:

- 15 pop-ups at the same time
- browser windows randomly open a frame where a skyscraper ad is displayed
- dozens of data mining cookies are spread to the computer
- random applications demand access to the internet
- new and bizarre, yet spamish non-removable toolbars are installed in IE
- strange html files deposit themselves in the SYSTEM folder
- there is a series of pop-ups every 4 minutes

The virus exploits something in Windows Media Player to gain access bypassing a firewall. This is soemthing that I found when I googled 0dp.com. Of course. who would think that a Windows machine would have vulnerabilities.

How can something by Microsoft have a security problem? :tazz:

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Okay then, glad we could help. Does this conclude a resolved topic? :tazz:

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.